Thread: April 2015 Geocacher Profile

April 2015 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Karen Peters aka Ladybug Karen should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? Ladybug Karen

How did you choose your handle? My mother use to call me Ladybug.

How long have you been geocaching? Since March 19, 2011

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it? With my niece Angie Williams aka Razorbacks02 it was Tower Heights Cache (GC1ZBXT) at Blue Mountain Lake.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? Well 80% of the time I go by myself. The other 20% is usually Brat22 and ArRocket my nieces from Greenbriar, or it's my sister Smokingranny from Poteau, OK. Then there is my co-worker Hippychick79.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? I really don't like puzzle caches most of the time I don't understand even how to solve it. So I will read it and if I understand how to solve it I will do it. The others I still have some of them where I think I'll go back and will understand it now. Sometime I do and sometimes I don't. So I guess the answer to that question is not very long.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    Wow, I don't know I have caches all over the state and other states the ones I like the best is where CO will take care of their caches and you can find them!

Do you do paperless caching?
    yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? I have several GPS. I use Garmin products I have a Dakota, a Montana, and a Garmin 62.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    Oh my gosh... the excitement of the find, the area that you might go to, you usually learn something from the history of the cache, that you might not other wise know anything about. It get's you off the couch and outside .

Where are you originally from? well I was born in Altus, OK. but came to AR when I was 17 years old and haven't left. I live in Van Buren, Ar.

In what states have you geocached?
    Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California that makes 16 states.

What was your first event ever attended?
    ArkGeo 2012 CITO Mt Nebo State Park on 4-1-12

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? ammo can

What was the most famous cache that you have found? Maybe the oldest cache in Texas

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? mostly rechargeable batteries

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    I really like to hide them but here lately don't seem to have time for even finding one.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? Just that the geocacher will have a great time finding it as I had to hide it.

What is you favorite type of cache hide? The ones that takes you out of the way and it shows you something about the area.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    I take pride in all of them. But maybe the ones that I have named a cache after.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    Is this your way to say I need to hide more? LOL!!! Yes, I do think once you have found a few hundred it's time to start hiding your own. I personal think that you should only hide as many as you can take care of. A well kept cache is worth a million to one that you don't take care of.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
    A group of us was camping at Blue Mountain and just so happen my husband's nephew and wife was there. She asked my husband to go geocaching with her as she didn't care to go fishing with her husband he said no but that I might like to go. So he came to our trailer and ask me if I wanted to go with her and I said no. Then somehow she asked me to go and explained it a little better and I really didn't think I wanted to go with her as I am a little shy. Then I thought well it does sound like fun. So I went with her Angie Williams aka Razorbacks02. Not to far away from our camping site we went off the road down into the woods and there was a something hide in the woods I think this one was an ammo can. Well, I mean to tell you from that time on I was hooked line and sinker. (funny because we went there to fish LOL!!)

What's your favorite geocache?
    I have a lot of favorite one. I like the different ones or the ones that people has taken the time to make it special.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    Hawaii or Alaska

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? in a group

How many First to Finds do you have? 53

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? Well, I was until I was doing my one a day streak then I had to pace myself. (I would like to add that my streak was 942 days) I got out of the habit of trying to get that First to Find. I have it set for 100 miles.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? Yes, I guess it would be fishing, I love to play golf too it's just rough on the body now. I like to log cemeteries also.

Ladybug Karen, I apology to you for the delay in getting this posted.
    I enjoyed reading your information.