Thread: March 2015 Geocacher Profile

March 2015 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Chuck Schwab aka floaten should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? floaten

How did you choose your handle? I used to skydive and created an email address using floaten many years ago, as in “floaten through the air”. I essentially gave up one hobby for another and the name transferred.

How long have you been geocaching? I found my first geocache in April 2005.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    I was an ROTC instructor at Eastern Illinois University and a biology professor (Flowerdoc) approached me and asked if I had a GPS. I was an army infantryman, so of course I did. The campus had two geocaches placed by the doc, so he asked if I had time to take a break and wanted to show me something. The rest is history!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? During the week I cache alone. We cache as a family during the weekends which typically revolves around going somewhere in the state we have not visited. I have gone on several outings with KSDS, Razz007, Butch724, and KNKinCabot.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? I don’t give up. I love puzzles. I will work a puzzle until I solve it or I’ll ask for help. Woodwalker is to blame for me puzzle madness. I used to avoid puzzles until I moved to Arkansas where I spotted all the puzzles in Jacksonville.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    The areas I enjoy the most are places like Pinnacle, Sugarloaf Mountain, and Petit Jean. I prefer to wander through the woods.

Do you do paperless caching? Not anymore. I haven’t for years. Back in the day I can remember printing out the listing page and drawing a map on the page to get me close to GZ. From there I used my GPS and walked in the direction that made the numbers move closer to what I needed.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S5 with the apps C:Geo and GCDroid

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? I can’t tell you how many times I have heard the “I didn’t even know that existed and I live here” comment. That is why I geocache. It takes me to places that a person may not normally visit but should.

Where are you originally from? Everett, Washington

In what states have you geocached? I have currently geocached in 20 states. Nothing outside the US.

What was your first event ever attended?
    My first event was at a grand opening of a new park in April 2006. We lived in Illinois at the time.

How many caches have you found? I am currently sitting at 5,994 with a goal of 8,000 by the end of the year.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? Unique and hand made. I love the I.C. series in Cabot.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? I found all the virtual caches in Disney World the summer of 2014. GC10FB Magic Kingdom has the most favorite points with 776

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Rechargeable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? I prefer to find but like hiding them too because it means I just listed another puzzle.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? To be honest, some of my puzzles are tough so I figure they earned an easy find.

What is your favorite type of cache hide? My puzzle called “Cell Phones” is my favorite hide. You’ll need to solve it to find out. LOL!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    My two favorites are Cell Phones and Numbers. They are my toughest.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    Whatever ratio you can maintain. If you don’t mind maintaining 300 hides go for it. As long as you’re willing to keep them up. Otherwise, don’t hide anything.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? When I started geocaching we did not have power trails. It was about getting out and seeing nature and going to unique places. That is what hooked me.

What's your favorite geocache?
    I have several so I’ll list a few of the most memorable in the Little Rock area. GC44JJ2 (Pump Station), GC53AVA (The Lost Picnic Area), GC5C2V7 (Cash Bash V Chinquapin).

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? Anywhere off the North American continent. Off the wall places like Bermuda Island, Greenland, or Iceland.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? Both ways have benefits. I have no preference. I have a great time with friends but enjoy caching by myself too. My primary means of transportation is a motorcycle so when alone I get to do two things I love at the same time.

How many First to Finds do you have?
    I actually keep track but I don’t have many. I think I’m sitting at 48.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? I have my notifications set at 25 miles. That is my limit. If the cache is a simple P&G within the Cabot city limits I’ll leave immediately. If it posted in Jacksonville I am more hesitant. If it has a difficulty 4.5/4.5 and is within my 25 mile limit I’m all over it. People tend to shy away from those.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    I like to spend time motorcycling and hiking but geocaching usually finds a way into those two hobbies so I guess I don’t. LOL

CacheiusClay Guest
    Watch out now BigTime!