Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum app for mobile devices

Forum app for mobile devices

To the powers that be,

Do we currently have an mobile device app associated with our forums and if so what is it and where can we get it? If not, then how hard or easy would it be to get a mobile device app that would allow us to at least be able to read forum posts on our mobile devices?

What prompted these question is that I have noticed that several web based forums have suggested that I download the mobile app when I have used my mobile device browser to look at the forums. I see at the bottom of the page that our forum is powered by vbulletin and have seen several apps that will read vbulletin forums in the app store. Just curious mostly although I would like to use it if there were one or one could be set up.

Thanks,
    Jesse (BsML)

I can add Tapatalk, but I very much dislike the software (It is coded extremely poorly and makes maintenance more difficult). If there is a demand for it, I'm happy to add it, though.

Thank you for the consideration. If I am the only one interested in this then don't worry about it. Since posting this originally I have looked at the reviews for several of the apps on the app store and they have not been all favorable. As with most it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as to whether people like them. Most that I read were of the negative variety. It was mostly a curiosity.

I used to be a regular on a private board that looked a lot like this one, and the tapatalk app cost money. That was quite some time ago, but I figured I'd chime in to appear helpful and sensitive.

You can subscribe to different threads and get email updates, which can then be read on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
    I can add Tapatalk, but I very much dislike the software (It is coded extremely poorly and makes maintenance more difficult). If there is a demand for it, I'm happy to add it, though.
    I think I will recant my previous response to kcackler.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot/MamaLlama View Post
    Thank you for the consideration. If I am the only one interested in this then don't worry about it.
    Again, thank you for the consideration! I have since downloaded the tapatalk app and played with it a bit. I understand that there is a difference in end user experience and back side developer/administrator experience. So, if it wouldn't be to much trouble or to much of a headache from your (kcackler) end, could we have this ability added? It would not necessarily have to be tapatalk. If you were able to find another app that would possibly be better or less of a headache, then I would appreciate it just the same. I'm not picky about which app. Just thought it might be easier to stay connected to the forums.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit? I have no trouble on the forums on my phone and have navigated them almost daily for years. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit? I have no trouble on the forums on my phone and have navigated them almost daily for years. Thank you in advance for your reply.
    Not sure what the benefit for anyone else might be. For me, on my device and using the browser that I use, not all web pages optimize for viewing on a mobile device. While I have no trouble opening the forums, I have to constantly zoom in or out to be able to read or tap on a link or the like. As such, I very rarely open the forum unless I am at a computer. The different forum apps optimize the forum feeds for viewing and use on mobile devices. As we know from commercials, there is an app for just about everything. Recently in my internet searching for information concerning various tidbits of knowledge I came upon information in various forums that when clicked on would suggest that I download the corresponding app that is associated with that particular forum. This piqued my curiosity and thus resulted in my original post. I am not a major forum participant. This is one of the few that I keep a regular watch on and it is pretty much the only one I post to on any basis. Also, the forum is my preferred method of keeping up with what is going on with Arkgeo. I am not a fan of facebook or many of the other social media apps for that matter. If it is a possibility that doesn't cause a lot of problems and headache to be implemented and maintained, then "way cool" we have another avenue for our members to access the forum. If it is too big a problem or would cause too many headaches with the maintenance, then I would say carry as normal. I was just curious in the beginning and still am but I will not be offended in the slightest if the final answer is no.

My two cents.

If this site was able to be accessed by taptalk I would visit it more. My phone is pretty much a permanent part of my body whereas my desktop computer is not. Additionally, we are not supposed to access non-work related pages while at work and I have little free time at home once I get there (two young boys that want my attention).

I only see it benefiting the site to make it accessible by other means. I am a member of a jeep forum and a motorcycle forum and I have friends that only use talptalk.

There is a free version and a pro (paid) version.

There are no fees based on what I have read from their site. https://tapatalk.com/partners.php

I don't wish to be a pain or a bother, but I don't mind being a squeaky wheel if necessary. I would like to know whether we can expect for this to happen or not. Again, I am ok if the answer is "no", but I would appreciate an answer one way or the other.

Thanks