Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should ArkGeo meet in June of 2016

jclaudii, we thank you for your post regarding dialog. It didn't seem threatening and it looked like you were searching for input from all members without being critical. We weren't trying to criticize Paris, far from it, just trying to put our two cents worth in and ask that the committee consider lodging for everyone when making a section of site in 2016.

I have held back from commenting because I am new to the area (just under two years in Arkansas) and new to ArkGeo. I have no idea what would be a good place to have the event because I am still learning the state so I'll give you my opinion as a newcomer looking into an organization they just joined. All of you have known each other for quite some time. I'm still making my presence known and trying to learn all the names and meet people.

I have no idea what the agenda is for an annual event but apparently it is a two day activity since the discussion of logging is of a big concern. I don't camp (the wife that is) and we have two young boys. If I'm going somewhere for an event and staying overnight it will definitely need hotel accommodations.

I have made it to the last two Paris events and have been highly impressed. I’ve noticed that there is not much lodging. Clarksville looks like the closest place that has the chain hotels. There are a couple bed and breakfast hotels but with kids you need a pool (mine anyway). It is a real nice town and I think it is awesome what David Spicer has done there. My feeling on Paris are 50-50.

There was a recommendation for Petit Jean. This is another place I have had an opportunity to visit. Seems there are a couple options for lodging here. There are a couple lodges right at the park, Morrilton is nearby, and potentially Russellville. Russellville being a bit further drive. The park itself is beautiful and has tons to offer for kids. I remember there being a large pool and a couple huge playgrounds not to mention the hike to the waterfall. These are the types of things I have to consider.

I have no idea what either place offers as far as camping but I'm sure you all know. If you want more new people like me (with young kids) to attend there needs to be things for the family to do. My wife is not as excited about geocaching as I am. She knows it is my primary hobby and she accepts that. I imagine there are many other cachers in the state that are in the same boat. It would be a lot easier to coax my wife into going to Petit Jean over Paris for a weekend getaway. Just saying. It may not be about numbers but if you want the organization to grow you have got to think about what it will take to get people there.

One last comment. Again, I don't know the agenda for the event so keep that in mind when you read this statement. It appears the event is two days long. Referring back to my earlier comment about the wife, she isn't as gung ho about geocaching as I am. I'm a little obsessed. It would be a heck of a lot easier to talk her into a long one-day event. Drive to a hotel Friday night, spend all day at an event, and head home that night. We might stay the second night in a hotel but we would head home first thing in the morning. Maybe it is only a one day event, I don't know, so this statement may not have been needed.

I felt compelled to make a few comments. I'm a new guy to the group looking in but so are the many geocachers in the area that are not members of ArkGeo. You have to give them a reason to want to be part of the organization and having it somewhere that might be a little more entertaining and fun may help them decide. The length of the drive will always be a factor but if you hold it at a family friendly place with additional things to do I think more people will attend.

Just my thoughts after reading all the posts. There are probably a lot of people like me reading everything on this site and not commenting. Potential ArkGeo members. Keep that in mind as you have your discussions.

Floaten you are the exact kind of folks we need to be thinking about. We do have a section that is off limits to non voting members ( the arkansas geocachers) and we sometimes air our differences out there, but whatever. A qu icky run down. Of th e annual event. Event is only on saturday and a cito is the following day till around noon. Most come just for the sat event, but others stay the night and cito the next day. The local folks do usually put a meet n greet on Friday afternoon at a restraunt or something. Feel free to pm me and I'll send you any extra info on the annual event so you can help us out by see what we done in the past.

ReapersQueen Guest
    Crowley's Ridge State Park is where I was going to mention. The park is pet friendly both tent and rv camping. And plenty of hotels to fit any budget all right there in town. And with us doing a Cito there they may give campers a discount along with a free pavilion. I go to church with on of the Game n Fish Directors and see if some strings can be pulled if this area is chosen.

Ahh a great topic. I shall add my two cents about Our State Parks. 1: Bull Shoals-White River State Park, 3 mile drive into town, there are many motels, hotels, cottages, State Parks has 103 campsites, about 5 miles away is a very large Corp park. The State Park has ample pavilions that would meet our needs. I camp there every
    year, in fact I delayed my trip there this year to accommodate ArkGeo Annual Meeting. The best thing about it is the real nice weather they always have when I am there.

2: Petit Jean State Park. Has ample camp sites, plus lodge, cedar falls motel, http://rockefellerinstitute.org/ is a great place up on petit jean with lodgeing and meeting facilites. It gives Petit Jean Mountain great big boast.

3: Degray State Park has Camping, lodge, lake, golf, ample meeting facilites. Arkadelphia is like 10 miles away

4 Lake Ouachita camping yes, metting facilites yes, lodging a bit far away.
    5 Lake Catherine Has camping, 12 miles to Malverne which has lodging but you have to book camping there early early

Lake Chicot has ample camping, town 10 to 15 miles away Lake Village. Real good pool too.

Crowelys Ridge, Lake Frierson, Lake Charles, Davidsonville dont have a lot of sites each. But Crowelys Ridge and Frierson are very close to Jonesboro which has lodging and a very nice campground Craighead Forest, The city parks has facilitates that would serve us well.