Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Where should ArkGeo meet in June of 2016

I had missed the recommendation on Lake Catherine and am sorry. I will contact them Tuesday since they are in my area. Will report in as soon as I speak with them.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

ORR, I think we needed to branch out of the Events committee only section and ask our general membership these types of questions. Yes the events committee folks could do this in their locked little section with no transparency and the leg work and decision gets made with only a few folks input and votes. This method allows way more transparency, a way to participate without being on the events committee and have a saying in what happens and where, and if they have time to help out in our legwork.

The events committee is held together by only a few people who perform legwork, I'm not sure if it is dis-satisfaction with the committee, me as a chair person, time constraints, or lack of heart for the organization or it's direction, but this is one way we can bring more folks in on the planning process and have less surprises at events and meetings. I'm not one to point fingers at people or tell them one way or the other but I can find another way to get the same result without jeopardizing friendships and/or maiming the name of Arkgeo.

So everything is on forums. Just received via e-mail from Lake Ouachita Corp of Enginees.

The answer is yes, your request has been approved for June of 2016. Crystal Springs Pavilion and some tent sites.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Rod Schmidt

So it's a go for 2016? Whoo hoo! Love it up there!

No, nothing has been decided... Just passing along an email I received today. I received one more after that one, also. Will copy and paste it.

After the fact, it was suggested that we feature geocaching at Lake Ouachita is some of our internal publications. I completely agree with the idea and I'll work up some "interview" questions for you to answer as we get closer to the date. We'll take some pictures, but we will likely only do something for our print pieces.

Mike
    Rod Schmidt

Gotcha. I love it in the area still

Valid points, many that I agree with. The events committee has been given $300 for the Annal. Event and the Annual Hot Dog Roast. The committee is doing with what they have.

My my personal belief is that the general membership meeting should be in the central part of the state giving equal distance to nearly all in the state. I personally consider Paris in the Northwest part of Arkansas. If the state is divided into quarters that is where I find Paris. Meaning nothing negative to or about NE or SE caches - I honestly believe attendance will go down if we place the event in those areas.

I don't care where it is held. We should be, thankfully, able to attend wherever the meeting is held.
    Rod Schmidt

I nominate Clarksville as the location of the next ArkGeo annual meeting, in 2016. While not the birthplace of Arkansas geocaching, I believe it was truly the cradle. I have many fond memories of that city and I think many others do, as well. I think it would be an excellent place to hold the next event.

CLARKSVILLE IN 2016!!!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Clarksville is a mighty fine Arkansas Caching town and would be a great place to have an event. Snice I am not from there and don't know much about the town can you please give me a little insight about it. Where in Clarksville would you hold the event? There is ample motel/hotel availabilty but what about camping?

Clarksville is a great location to cache. Since it is only 25.5 miles according to Google Maps from Paris, I would venture to say the same State Parks would remain the same as they were from Paris, Mt. Magazine and Mt. Nebo. I respect your opinion on that ORR, however Clarksville (as Paris was last weekend) a 3.5+ hour drive for some of us. If Clarksville is Geographically located in the middle of the membership I'm all for it and my suggestion will be withdrawn. I'm not saying put it my backyard by any stretch of the imagination and don't read into this as saying that please. I just think if we had a map and put where the majority of those who are active in ArkGeo the event would be more centrally located towards the center of the state and not in North West Arkansas again (Clarksville is only 64.7 miles from the Janet Huckabee Nature Center according to Google Maps)for the third year in a row. Just my $0.02 and my intent is not to upset anyone, just trying to be fair to all involved in ArkGeo who will attend/camp/travel/etc. I like the idea of having it at a State Park where those who camp can camp onsite, those who want to stay in a lodge or cabins (if available at the chosen park) can do that on site, and can just hang out without going to different places to camp. The last time we did that was 2012 at Daisy State Park. Of course again this is just my opinion and I am not on the events committee and will support ArkGeo where ever it is held, just as I have for the last 7 years.