Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Where should ArkGeo meet in June of 2016

Pt. Jean – I have left another message.

Lake Ouachita Corp of Engineers – Crystal Springs Use Area
    They will let us have the pavilion and tent camping at no charge for work done at the CITO on Sunday. It might not be trash pickup, but some type of work that they need done. We will have to have Hot Dog Roast at a campsite, but that would work. There are a number of RV / Tent sites available for those wishing to camp. Hot Springs and Mt. Ida are nearby for lodging and if you want closer lodging there is a motel less than five minutes from the use area. The area is wide open for placing new caches and for temps, but there, also, a number of caches already in the area.

Lake Greeson Corp of Engineers – Riverside Use Area –
    They will, also, let us have the pavilion at no charge for work done at the CITO on Sunday. They could have something other than a trash pickup (Although this area might need it more than Crystal Springs). There is lodging very close in the form of cabins and in nearby Murfreesboro. The Corp has a number of RV / tent campsites across the river from the Pavilion. There are caches in the lake area and in Murfreesboro, and the Corp would welcome any permanent caches we would want to place. A number of places are available for the temporaries, also.

Crater of Diamonds State Park
    There are few permanent geocaches in the area at present, but that just means there are lots of places to place new ones. I am waiting to hear back from them with more info. I do know that they have RV/Tent camping, a water playground, digging for diamonds, an enclosed pavilion, and nearby lodging. Will pass on more as soon as possible.

Daisy State Park
    This park is very geocaching friendly – as all these places are – and would welcome us back once again to their park. They will provide the enclosed pavilion at no cost and like before will allow for dry camping at the pavilion. They would come up with a job for us to do instead of a trash pickup because this park never needs a true CITO. Before there were complaints about no lodging in the area, but there really are places to stay… Daisy Motel, Lakeside Motel, and Self Creek Cabins. The park, itself, can provide RV/Tent camping sites. There are caches placed in the park by Emilie and Patricia, but there are still areas begging for new caches.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

Who was calling on the ones around river valley area and Northeast? The folks that suggested them?
    Rod Schmidt

All of these sound great to me. Thank you for your leg work Likestocanoe.

I can't sleep...a cold. I like ORR suggestions. Petit Jean, Lake Dardanelle, and Nebo are all great. Jonesboro would have more geocachers from Missouri and Tennessee attend than Arkansas Geocachers. I do like the Crater of Diamonds possibility as a site. Ouachita and Daisy we have been there and done that, but I did not go to Daisy, too remote. Ouachita was good but that park sees its share of storm damage every year, and areas might be closed like last time. Yes we have had an event at Petit Jean and it was my first state meeting. Hey we all want this in our backyards, and if it is in Daisy, or Lake Ouachita or the other place L2C suggested then so be it. I just think it is great we can post our thoughts and have a board who really is trying to consider all the places. Communication is great and keep it up. See a bunch of you at the 15,000 event in Russellville, Saturday. Okay I am tired and sleepy better go to bed. Kendall
    KoonandBud

Thanks for everyone's ideas. Thanks to Sandy for checking all these places out. It is a challenge to pick a spot. It's hard to find a place that has everything we all want. The ideal place would be somewhere that was in the middle of 3 hotels, had free camping, plenty of free parking, unloading area within 2 feet, etc. wouldn't it be great if it had grassy woods behind to hide caches. Man, if we could only find our perfect spot that everyone in the state would come too!! LOL!!!!! Just throwing some humor among the mix!!!

Keep the ideas coming. If you think of a spot, make some calls & do done leg work for the Events Committee. I'm sure they would appreciate it!!!

Something to consider when looking at a location. 1: camping, how many rv sites, how many tent only sites, is there a group camp site 2. lodging, how far away are hotel/motels and how much do they cost 3. other activities in the area, is there stuff for families to do 4. cost, will we have to pay and how much is it 5. meeting faclites, indoor or outdoor, how many people will it hold. This type info is most helpful.

Does anyone know if we have ever ask the following question: At events that you stay overnight for in Arkansas do you use hotels or camp? If camping is it tent or RV?

I'll answer. I have been to the last six- camped in a tent five and one was close enough I pulled the camper (Daisy). Before I was in ArkGeo I understand that it was at Lake Catherine State Park. Why is it never mentioned in these threads? It is one of my favorite parks and one that I think would be pretty centrally located to the geographical center of the state? Just curious. Lots of motels and things to do in Hot Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by likestocanoe View Post
    Who was calling on the ones around river valley area and Northeast? The folks that suggested them?
    With all due respect, I thought the Events Committee was responsible for taking care of that and you were just asking for input.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

There were Events Committee members who have made recommendations. Their assistance would be appreciated. So far there are only two members that are assisting on this. Now, if you would like to join the committee PLEASE feel free and your help would be appreciated, also. Anyone, who has an interest in the ArkGeo Annual Event should feel free to lend their assistance!
    Rod Schmidt