Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where should ArkGeo meet in June of 2016

Where should ArkGeo meet in June of 2016

This is just a quick note to start members and non-members thinking about where Arkgeo should go for our 2016 event.
    2015 is being held in Paris, AR.

Please feel free to post any of your thoughts or ideas down here and I will add it to the list we have in the Events Committee area.

For those of us who camp it sure is convenient to have it in a park that offers camping. I know it probably costs more and I understand that aspect of it as well, but it has been since 2012 (Daisy) since we have had it at a park with camping. (2013 at the Nature Center in Little Rock, 2014 at the Nature Center in Fort Smith and 2015 in Paris). My suggestion won't go as far as naming a particular park or area, I'll leave that up to those on the event committee, just it seems more like a family reunion to me when we have a central area to hang out at and a place for a hot dog roast and campfire. Afterwards we can all just retire to our tent, camper, cabin, etc. Thank you for requesting some input.

I agree with Justin on having a central location for campers and non-campers alike to sit and visit.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

We would hope the events committee will consider lodging facilities for non-campers that may travel a long distance and not be shut out like this year with the event being in Paris...a town without decent lodging.

On the other hand, Paris is being very kind to offer us all the facilities which are indoors and out of the weather for no cost to ArkGeo and providing us with extras for our annual event which no other town in Arkansas has offered. We thank David Spicer for making this happen!!

ARfiremedic and RKLMBL We ARE looking for specific locations to check into for 2016 so please post them up. Our Membership will basically be giving the Events committee the locations for us to research, make calls, and look into so we can have many options and give the board a hard time to pick

Paris has very good lodging options just not right in town... You guys led us to Best Western in Clarksville with the best beds around. We stayed at a really nice cabin our first year and an even nicer one the second year. And, there is still Mt Magazine State Park although a bit pricy for our tastes. We thank David for all his hard work for 2015. We are both on the Events Committee and Walt to let all Arkgeo members know that you guys are in charge if providing suggestions for 2016. Please post suggestions so the Events Committee can follow up?
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

I, too, like a place where we can camp and all hang out. I know we've been to Daisy before, but on the south side of Lake Greeson are several Corps campgrounds. Plus, it's a short drive to the Crater of Diamonds. Along that thread there is also a campground at the Crater of Diamonds state park. I haven't personally camped there. But being able to freely dig for diamonds would be a neat side activity, plus would give us a good theme to work around "Diamonds". There are also several lodging places in nearby Murfreesboro.
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

Some other places I've never been, but would be neat to go. And might pull in some other folks would be:

Lake Chicot State Park

Crowley's Ridge State Park
    Bull Shoals White River State Park
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

guwisti, Murfreesboro and Greeson is my hometown stomping ground and the interpreter out there is a geocacher. He has expressed interest in getting our organization down there, but I can't never find a fit for the event that he puts together. Eitherway Murfreesboro has some pro's and Cons that we'll just have to weigh to see if they fit. One of the cons is the need for a paid admission to dig for diamonds, so that may limit some folks. On the plus side they do have a waterpark there now and the Little Missouri is there (I always want to do a geoevent like tube/kayak/canoe a river in AR).

I think all your other choices are great for review this coming year!

I wish there was a way to bring an event to the NPS (National Park Service) or NFS (National Forest Service). Places could include:
    Buffalo River Area (I know it's out of the way)
    Hot Springs (the city)
    and somewhere near a population center in the Forest Service
    Like Pine Creek near Russellville