Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does updating coordinates on the Mystery caches do?

What does updating coordinates on the Mystery caches do?

When you solve a mystery cache, and update the coordinates, it shows a link to the actual updated location on the cache page, but not the map. And when I pull up the cache on the app, it doesn't have the updated coordinates. Is there something else I need to do?

I went out today with a bunch of caches printed on paper, and exposing my fingers made for a very short trip. I'd prefer the convenience of the app's navigational features.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Watching this because I've had the same issues. Thanks for asking!
    -Angela
    "When life gives you hands...make handmade!"

As you know a mystery cache most likely is not at the posted coordinates. It can be up to 2 miles away. First let me ask a question? When you say "update the coordinates" are you manually changing them on the listing page? There is what looks like a pencil to the right of the listed coordinates(see attached photo). If you click on this pencil it will allow you to manually change the listed coordinates. This will not shift the icon on the Groundspeak map but it should shift your icon on the app.

Let me backup a second. I do not use a iPhone so I have no idea what happens with the official geocaching app on an iPhone. I can only speak for an Android with the c:geo or GCDroid app. In those two apps it shifts the icon to the corrected coordinates. I have seen occasions where this doesn't happen with c:geo so all you need to do is open the specific mystery cache in the c:geo app and immediately go back to the map and it will shift.

I hunt mystery caches. I think I have found over 400 now. It would be a major pain (revert back to the old ways) if I could not use the corrected coordinates feature. I use it constantly and it works without fail.

I hope this answers your question. If not, I can give more details.

Capture.JPG

I did update the coordinates on the listing page, but when I pulled up the listing on the App (the official Geo app on the iPhone), it still had the old coordinates listed.

Quote Originally Posted by cnwilks View Post
    I did update the coordinates on the listing page, but when I pulled up the listing on the App (the official Geo app on the iPhone), it still had the old coordinates listed.
    For clarification, when you say "updated on the listing page" are you referring to the app or to the website? I have not done very many mysteries yet but I don't believe you can update the info on the cache page on the website other than to add a note for your own information. Which I assume you can transfer that info to the app in some way. I may or may not be correct on that. In the official iphone app, once you are looking at the navigation map of a listed cache, tap the three dots in the upper right corner to bring up a menu box. At the top of that menu tap add waypoint. Then enter the coordinate info and rename the waypoint (i.e. "Final") if you wish. Tap done and when back on the map touch the new flag on the map for an info box to pop up. Tap the arrow to bring up another menu and select "set as target" for the app to then navigate you to the new coordinate set. Hope this helps.

There wasn't an option on the menu to add a waypoint, but I did notice that one was added to the navigation screen with the updated coordinates. I think I'm in business!

Apologies if I was not clear. The "add waypoint" is in the menu on the navigation map screen. Once you have the cache page showing, tap on the "Navigate to Geocache" button with the map showing, not the compass. Then tap on the dots for the appropriate menu. Either way, if you are able to see the updated coordinates then happy caching!

It worked fine...I grabbed a Mystery Cache at Lunch today

Quote Originally Posted by floaten View Post
    I hope this answers your question. If not, I can give more details.

Capture.JPG
    It answered mine...Thank you very much!!
    Ang
    "When life gives you hands...make handmade!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot/MamaLlama View Post
    For clarification, when you say "updated on the listing page" are you referring to the app or to the website? I have not done very many mysteries yet but I don't believe you can update the info on the cache page on the website other than to add a note for your own information.
    FYI - Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your comment. If I have, disregard everything I am about to say and I will apologize ahead of time. You CAN update the info on the cache page. That is what the bulk of my first post is explaining. You click the "pencil" next to the listed coordinates and insert the corrected coordinates. You have just updated the listing page to the actual coordinates of the mystery cache. What it will not do is move the icon on the groundspeak map. I think grounspeak could make this happen if the programmed the page to make the shift but they have not done that.

Nevertheless, if you have an Android (sorry apple folks) your phone uses the new coordinates you replaced on the listing page. As far as your phone is concerned the coordinates your manually entered on the listing page are the "real coordinates". This is why I do not use the official geocaching app. I purchased it but it just is not up to par with two other apps that are on the market. This is obviously my personal opinion and my comments can be stricken if need be.

It is so much easier to update the coordinates on the listing page and let you phone app calculate the shift than trying to manually enter the new coordinates in the phone, while in the field, then proceed to the cache. All I have to do is start the app and I'm off. Otherwise, you have to pull up the coordinates, copy and paste them (which doesn't always work because you have to enter north and west separately so you end up writing on your hand), then you can finally get going. That is a hassle.

Sorry for the rambling. My main point is updating the coordinates on the listing page is the "way to go". If you own an iPhone you get to do it the hard way. Sorry. Having said that, anything is easier than how I did things back in 2005 so it is all relative. I'm spoiled with Android technology and c:geo.