Thread: A fun barista muggling to start the new year

A fun barista muggling to start the new year

Happy new year everyone!

I'm working on keeping a streak alive, and that means caching on cold, wet days sometimes. I also had a bad day, with about as many DNFs as finds.

I decided that today would be a perfect day to go hunt for Coffee Talk (GC28CDM), which is by the Startbucks on Broadway. Not a difficult hide, but usually a very high traffic area. Today, the drive-thru was unoccupied, and it was time to hunt.

I began my search on the back side of the building behind the drive thru menus, and while I was searching, I heard "Can I help you?" through the speaker. I came clean right away, and the baristas inside told me that they didn't know that there was a Geocache there. I replied that there was one there, but I didn't know where it was. They wished me luck ,and told me to keep them posted.

One of them came out as I made the find, and was really interested to see it. I showed her the very heavily inked log, and answered some of her questions. She mentioned going looking before, but not finding anything, and I encouraged her to stick with it.

I'm a little embarrassed to have been busted the way that I was, but it was cool to know that perhaps I found us a new recruit.

I know most of you have similar stories, but I figured I'd share mine. Feel free to add yours below if you like.

There is a cache in Cabot at a fast food joint that you cannot grab without being seem. It is in plain sight of the drive through window. The only way to grab it is to wait until a car pulls up to the window and quickly snag the container. Placing a cache takes a second but finding one is another story. It is inevitable that you'll get caught. Eventually someone will ask you if you need help or question what your doing. I could tell you several stories.

The most recent was at a cemetery in the country. I was on my motorcycle in full gear and decided to grab a cache. I had made the find and was on my way out of the woods when I saw a sheriff car pulled up next to my bike. He was watching me leave the woods. I can imagine his thoughts as I walked towards him. What is this guy in a motorcycle suit doing coming out of the woods? As I approached his car he asked me if I was OK and I always ask if they are familiar with geocaching. Turns out he was a cacher and he told me his user which I can't remember but he had only found about 24 caches at the time.

I have sold geocaching to many a stranger.