Thread: Calculating new coordinates along a bearing

Calculating new coordinates along a bearing

I've seen a couple of caches that provide one set of coordinates, and you have to move them along a specified bearing and distance to find the real coordinates. I'm sure that there is an online tool to do this, but I'm not sure where to find it. Anyone have a link that they can provide? Thanks in advance!

What gps are you using? That may be the easiest way to help you.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

I'm not....I'm one of those smart phone types.

I'm working on a mystery cache in the Memphis area (GCTNNG) where you have to take the existing coordinates, and move them 8800 yards 300 degrees true. I've seen a similar problem in a Hot Springs Cache, but that one looks like it's walking distance. I assume that there is an online calculator than can do this.

If you are using iPhone apps are gc tools & igct. Then you will need an app you can enter coords into. Free gps is one.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Everyone has there own personal preference. I use a tool called GeoMT. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ev.geomt&hl=en

Type in the listed coordinates and then input the distance and direction. After that all you need to so is click show on map. This is what I use because these types of projection caches are not usually that far from the original coordinates. That's not to say it would be up to 2 miles away.

Screenshot_2014-12-19-07-11-33.png

An alternative is once you have the corrected coordinates you update the listed coordinates by clicking the pencil icon next to the listed coordinates and input your corrected coordinates. Hope that did not confuse you. The next time you open your phone app the corrected location should be shown. I cannot verify this on the official geocaching app because I don't use it.

For puzzles I typically use this website and then place the corrected coordinates in the geocaching.com puzzle listing page.

http://www.geolifeline.com/projection.php