Thread: Chirp Detection Apps

Chirp Detection Apps

I have heard of two smartphone apps that will detect Chirp signals. They are GeoBeacon and CacheSense. I found the GeoBeacon app for my iPhone ($1.99), but a search for CacheSense did not return anything. Maybe it's an app only for the Android. Does anyone have experience with either of these apps?

I have a Garmin GPSR which is Chirp-capable, so I really don't need them, but they might be inexpensive alternatives for those who don't own a Chirp-capable Garmin unit and would like to be able to find Chirp caches.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Thanks ORR. We have downloaded GeoBeacon and are ready to use it along with our Garmin (Chirp Enabled) GPS the next time we find a "Chirp". We'll see how they compare. We could not find the CacheSense in the I-phone apps.

Fairly certain that cachesense is an android app and possibly for Blackberry.

I did some research for my friend a while back on this exact subject. He had an iPhone5. We determined that you had to buy a wahoo key. The is basically a ANT+ antenna. I imagine the Garmin iPhone dongle would work too but I have not seen confirmation of this. The piece of hardware along with the app GeoBeacon has been proven to detect Chirps. The app is $2 and the hardware is $59. Much cheaper than a GPS. My partner ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy S5 so we never tested this theory.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/wahoo-key.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod103887.html

You mentioned CacheSense. I have this app on my Android and I am not aware that it has Chirp functionality. I have read articles on the subject but I've not seem anyone say they have used it.

http://www.zitafarm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3356

Additionally, it seems the creator has not updated it in a while and people post on the site asking about updates and do not get a replies. Regardless, if you have an newer Android you don't need CacheSense. Newer Android phones come with ANT+ apps that detect chirps. I have used mine twice and it works perfect.

So the S5 can detect Chrips? I wonder if GDAK (The Droid Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) software can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
    So the S5 can detect Chrips? I wonder if GDAK (The Droid Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) software can do this.
    Yes, the S5 can detect chirps. I have used mine twice. I do not believe the GDAK works with chirps.

You should already have an app called ANT+ Plugin Manager. If not you need to download it. Then you need to download the ANT+ Plugin Sampler. Both these apps are free. When you get to the listed coordinates of a chirp open the Sampler App. Scroll down until you see Geocache Utility. Tap the the screen and it will move to another page which displays several items about the chirp to include the programmed coordinates. The coordinates will be in decimal format so be prepared to convert them.

Screenshot_2014-03-09-17-29-13.png

unnamed.png
    Last edited by floaten; 10-24-2014 at 06:37 PM.