Thread: Alaska Geocaches

Alaska Geocaches

We recently traded a pathtag with an Alaska geocacher and on the back of the tag was the Alaska website. I looked at the September newsletter and found this pretty interesting:

Top Tens: Alaskan Cacher’s Caching AchievementsBy Scott Aleckson / SSO JOAT
    This month’s Top Ten list of Alaskan Cacher’s Caching Achievements goes
    to the Alaskan Geocaches with the longest time since the last find or longest
    time unfound since placed. Some of these caches are quite controversial. Do
    they still exist? Did they ever exist? Perhaps we will never know, or perhaps
    someone will finally make the trek out there and find a box with a log. Only
    time will tell. As with all our Top Ten lists, only Alaskan caches are counted
    here. Day counts as of September 1, 2014.
    #1 Kougarok = 4,819 Days
    #2 Toothy Travel Bug Cache = 4,431 Days
    #3 Willow Waquaa = 3,360 Days
    #4 Sleeping Otter = 3,343 Days
    #5 Lost Arrow = 3,310 Days
    #6 Little Island Cove Cache = 3,011 Days
    #7 rainy day = 3,004 Days
    #8 Vista Del Agua = 2,975 Days
    #9 Got your Goat? (PMO) = 2,966 Days
    #10 Sylvester Glacier = 2,945 Days
    Feeling lonely? Adventurous? Go have a look and see if you can knock one
    of these guys off the list. Please remember that cache pages are NOT a place
    to discuss the merits of the cache!
    Look for another Top Ten list next month.
    That is a lot of days for a cache not to be found. Of course we have to remember, for much of the year parts of Alaska are covered in snow and there are many parts that are very remote. We recently made a trip to Iliamna, Alaska and found one cache that had not been logged found since 12/4/2010. There is another cache there that has never had a found log posted. However I know people have found that cache from talking with the fishing guides at the lodge where we were staying. These two particular caches are on gated property however they are reachable from the river if you have a guide to take you that way.

Anyway, I checked out the caches in Arkansas for the longest number of days without a find and out highest number is only 1819 as of today. GC19BPF Waterfall Series - Mitchell Creek Falls.

Perhaps we should go out and find some of these lonely caches. It wouldn't take too many and we could then go and claim the smiley on GC2Z5M4 Arkansas' Lonely Cache Challenge.

Hope someone finds this interesting besides me.
    Last edited by Flyfishingcachers; 10-07-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Very interesting. I think we talked about at least one of those that had never been found. Think I see why. LOL
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

Road Trip! Plus maybe an airplane or two....

Challenge accepted!!!
    GC19BPF Waterfall Series - Mitchell Creek Falls was found today along with a few other really lonely caches.
    In total I found 12 lonely caches today worth 107 points for the GC2Z5M4 Arkansas' Lonely Cache Challenge.
    I even missed out on another 33 points because of 3 DNF's.
    I'll go get some more Lonely caches next week.
    It also looks like this thread prompted ChuckWalla to check out these lonely caches. I got notifications this morning on some that had been disabled due to DNF's or other issues.

I sure did not mean to prompt the caches being disabled. Glad you went and got the lonely ones though.
    Last edited by Flyfishingcachers; 10-10-2014 at 09:16 PM.

I didn't mean for that to sound like a bad thing. I for one am glad we have a reviewer that cares enough about the game to help ensure that everyone continues to be able to enjoy it. One such way is by watching for problem caches and helping to remind the owners that they may need to do some maintenance to ensure the longevity of the cache.

AMEN to that, idratherbehiking.