The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Les Williams aka Savoy should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
Savoy

How did you choose your handle?
I've been using this handle since the before the first web browser. Basically there was a joke about not knowing who was 'really' on the internet. It could be a dog - I believe it was a cartoon. My dog's name was Savoy, was 'ta da'! that became my handle.

How long have you been geocaching? How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
I remember that I got very excited to tell my kids that there was a geocache VERY close bye. They were 4-years, and third and fourth grade. The cache was only 2 1/2 hours away! http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.a...1-205669083257 I too a couple of pictures on that log back in August 2001 - Petit Jean Jaunt.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
At first it was my thee Geokids, but has they got older and graduated, it ended up just being me and my GeoPup, Mezzo.

If you've met me, you've probably also met Mezzo. Of course, he's trackable too:
http://coord.info/TB277Z8

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?

I do like puzzles, but I'm mostly a fan of field puzzles - ones you can solve on the spot. I'm especially fond of physical puzzles and the craftsmanship that goes into them.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?

Though it 'looks' like I stopped geocaching after moving overseas to China and Brazil, that is WAY not the case. Geocaching back in the early does of the hobby was very challenging in Asia and South America. Even though I don't have "finds" (though I do have some of the oldest active cashes in both those places), I still have the fondest memories of trying to find some of the most remote geocaches in the world.

Do you do paperless caching?

Is there any other way now?

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

I'm a huge fan of my Montana 650t.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

Today is a great example. Because of Geocaching, I woke up to a view the mists rising from a beautiful Ozark lake. I then spent the day geocaching with a new friend I had just met the night before because of a Geocaching Event (Cache Bash V) - though we did some geocaching, it was just nice to hang out and share a love for the outdoors, good stories and find fellowship. Geocachers make a unique and welcoming community that is something special to be a part of... its hard to find anything else like it.

Where are you originally from?

Montana, but I was raised all over the SE. My college years were spent in South Carolina.

In what states have you geocached?

All the South East and Central US, Montana, California, New Mexico. I really need to get up to the North Eastern States!

What was your first event ever attended?

I think it was an Arkgeo Event when we can make back to the U.S.

How many caches have you found?

I've pasted 2K and headed toward 3.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

The ammo can!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

There is a bridge scene in the movie, The Untouchables. That bridge is in Montana - and up there, its very famous.
The most famous one I didn't find was the APE cache in Brazil. I made the trip all the way to the national park but bad weather and washed out roads kept out from leaving the park station so we turned back. It turned that that the caretaker had moved the cache for some reason (it eventually make its way back to near the original location) and it was sitting behind the building we were parked near! Of course we didn't think to ask, and they didn't think to tell. I was a very sad panda when I found out what had happened. But still, it makes for a great story.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

I'm a disposable fan, but the charge on my unit will last more than a full day of caching.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

I had some famous hides overseas and here - I think one of my caches like the 15th oldest in Arkansas. I have geocaching in China and Rio de Janeiro that still get a lot of love.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?

I like to put in caches that I'd like to find (that is if I didn't already know where they were).

What is you favorite type of cache hide?

Ammo Can in the Woods in a GREAT location.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?

I'm fond of the Castaway Cache, and Old Photo #2.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?

After your first couple hundred finds, I think its OK to hide as much as you're willing to maintain.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

I think I read something in a newspaper the month before, and then I wanted to try it out with the kids to see if it would help make it easier to do a 'spur of the moment' hike. It worked!

What's your favorite geocache?

That's hard for me... I like a lot of geocaches for different reasons.
My favorite is still going to be Brown Agnus (Montana).

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

Australia.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

I like going with a group the most. To me, geocaching is a social activity at its heart.

How many First to Finds do you have?

I'm not sure... I got one last night. Before that, it was months ago. I'm guessing 20ish.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?

The only way I'd go for a FTF is if it goes live as I'm standing next to it. Even then, with my track record on FTFs, someone else will still log it before I can get to it.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

I'm a fan of most things outdoorsie. I have a very musical family, so we spend a lot of time on our various instruments.