The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Jerry and Bonnie Turner aka "CacheMates" should be the next cachers to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

"CacheMates"

How did you choose your handle?
We changed our name from Jerry Bonnie and Abby when Abby quit going with us! We ask on Ark Geocachers for suggestions, Lady Engineer come up with CacheMates. We liked it and changed our name.

How long have you been geocaching?

We cached from 2003 to 2009.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

Our first cache was Kirby Landing Cache, by Line Runner. It was a local cache and not far from home. We didn't have a GPS as we had just heard about geocaching. Made two or three trips trying to find it, finally ordered a GPS. I was determined to find that thing, I was hooked after that.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?

Just Bonnie and myself

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
It just depended on the cache! I was never good at puzzle caches but some were very good caches and we enjoyed them.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
Clarksville and Searcy were both favorites.

Do you do paperless caching?
Yes, we did go paperless.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
Garmin 60csx

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
Geocaching has several benefits. The places you go that you never knew about, some right in your own area, the friendly people you meet and the friends you make. It gets you out of the house and moving, Geocaching taught me to use a computer, gps, pda, (Golfnutz would question the pda). This is just a few things we liked about geocaching.

Where are you originally from?
Glenwood AR.

In what states have you geocached?
Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Florida, Missouri, Indiana, and Illinois

What was your first event ever attended?
Burns Park Event

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
Ammo Can

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
Cousin Eddie, That Devil

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Disposable Batteries

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
Hiding, I enjoyed that.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
No, not usually

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
Creative and difficult, that can be an ammo can or a bison tube

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
The Tool Time Cache Series is probably my favorite, Winding Stairs for the scenic beauty another one.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
My personal opinion on the hide to find ratio might differ from most! I enjoyed the more difficult to find caches than the ones just thrown out there. I rated a Geocacher on the quality of their caches instead on the amount hides they had. I would rather look all day for one difficult cache than find 50 skirt lifters.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
Heard about Geocaching from friends from Oregon! Had to check it out as it sounded like lots of fun.

What's your favorite geocache?
My favorite Geocache! Now that is a hard one, I have many of them but one that really sticks out is one we found in Clarksville! It was a Thanksgiving in 2007 (I think) Woodwalker9 met us in Clarksville, we went to Hawksbill Crag and Glory Hole (Both excellent caches but not my favorite). We got back in Clarksville late and had time for one more cache. We looked until it was so dark we had to get out the flashlights. Bonnie finally found something that solved the mystery. I think the name of the cache was, Home Run Zone, by Golfnutz. But I could have easily choose a number of caches as a favorite.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
Alaska

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
Both

How many First to Finds do you have?
Not sure how many but we would have a bunch more if "Rhone" wasn't such an early riser.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
Yes, at first I liked to be FTF and have went as far a Burns Park only to see Rhone beat me there.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
I do have other hobbies, hunting, bee keeping, photography, woodworking and just piddling around.