Thread: Hiding caches with Iphone

Hiding caches with Iphone

I meet a new cacher that uses an Iphone and she has questions on hiding caches with one. Does anyone hide caches using thier Iphone?

Hunt with one occasionally; don't use to hide. There are a few individuals using them to hide caches here in western Colorado. The coordinates are notoriously poor.

Quote Originally Posted by SJClimber View Post
    The coordinates are notoriously poor.
    It is for this reason that I would discourage anyone from using a smartphone to get the coordinates when hiding a cache. If you don't have a handheld GPS receiver, then borrow one when making the hide!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

I hide caches with mine on a regular basis. But then I go into Google Earth and check the results and adjust if need be. Sometimes it's off, but then again sometimes my GPS when I have used it is off. I don't find it any more off on coords than my GPS. Those who have found my caches, might have something different to say, but I've had no complaints.
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

This is purely an opinionated statement so take it for what it's worth. I'm new to the area and forum so I usually keep my mouth shut. This is a topic that has bothered me the last few months.

I don't really think it should be narrowed down to iPhone. I personally think the coordinates for a hide should be done with a GPS. I've lived in Arkansas for a year now and collected a lot of caches in the LR area. I can tell you by username who's caches are dead on and who's are off a bit (not releasing that list). LOL. The people I know for a fact are using a GPS are almost always dead on. I have ran into five new cachers who have admittedly hid there caches with an iPhone and most of them for 40-50' off. One of them is my friend and the guy I got started in the sport. He now owns a GPS. I'm not saying all iPhones or Androids produce these results and I know your allowed to be within 30'. Just recently we had a new cache hidden in North Little Rock that was 32' off. Ok, only 2' more than what's accepted but when you have 20 possible hiding spots you hope the coordinates are pretty close. I guess it makes for more of a challenge.

I like what guwisti said above. I use Google Maps to verify my coordinates. It works well to verify your coordinates unless you've placed it deep in the woods or on a power trail like those above Hotsprings Village or the Arkansas River Trail.

Just my two cents. I'd hate to discourage anyone hiding a cache though.

We have some of those north of Hot Springs Village. Sometimes it is a challenge to get good coordinates. We try our best with our gps to get good coords, sometimes go back the next day or a few days later and coords are completely different. We even use more than one gps and different types when we hide ours. I think the satellites in the sky are toying with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfishingcachers View Post
    We have some of those north of Hot Springs Village. Sometimes it is a challenge to get good coordinates. We try our best with our gps to get good coords, sometimes go back the next day or a few days later and coords are completely different. We even use more than one gps and different types when we hide ours. I think the satellites in the sky are toying with us.
    I ran one of your trails with Razz007 a little over a month ago. The Weyerhaeuser 24000 trail. Yours were pretty dang good considering your out in the middle of nowhere. We lost cell phone service out there so you couldn't use a phone if you wanted to. I need to get back out to that area.

We can't take credit for those, 24000 trail is all placed by Quartzcachers, Bruce Crane.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfishingcachers View Post
    We can't take credit for those, 24000 trail is all placed by Quartzcachers, Bruce Crane.
    Whoops. Then I have not made it to yours. On my short list.