Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wherigo Caches

Aekfiremedic,

Our Solar System Wherigo is a tour of the solar system while driving. You only have to exit your vehicle if a stage locks up and to sign the log. Our Arkansas Tech Tour Wherigo is a short walk on campus at Ar Tech in Rsvl. We recently completed Guwisti's Ozark Tour Wherigo which is also a driving wherigo which showed us many historical spots in Ozark that we had never notice before. It is well done. Haven't had a chance to complete the Battle of Van Buren or Downtown Rsvl wherigo's, but ORR's Bona Dea: Trail of Horrors is very well done. That cartridge requires some walking, but it's along a level, paved path. ORR's Easy as Pie is a great wherigo if someone is learning how to use the app. Hope this helps you decide which ones 2ter would enjoy doing. While doing a driving wherigo it is highly recommended to have someone help the driver navigate so they can concentrate on traffic. Have fun and look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

When Kim uses her iPhone, see selects download for Garmin and it works fine.
    Basically she goes to the Wherigo.com page and downloads the cartridge, then opens the Wherigo app on her iPhone and it is there.

I own a droid phone and the steps are a bit different. This is the one area the Google has failed the droid community for you can't download the cartridge directly to your phone from the website and use it. Google doesn't use format preserving when storing downloads and this renders the cartridge useless to the app. Instead you have to email it to your phone's email as an attachment, or save it to your phone when it is attached to a computer, and save it in the Wheigo app folder.

The rest is the same regardless of phone.

I do have an older phone (Motorola HD, about 4 or 5 years old) and it will lock up while playing a cartridge if I have too many apps open or if I have C:geo open. In talking to the developers of C:geo, it appears the older operating system on the phone will not share the compass\GPS chip nicely with other apps. I have been told that the newer OS plays much better. Floaten has a newer droid phone so he may be able to offer more insight into that.

Just food for thought.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by knkincabot View Post
    When Kim uses her iPhone, see selects download for Garmin and it works fine.
    Basically she goes to the Wherigo.com page and downloads the cartridge, then opens the Wherigo app on her iPhone and it is there.

I own a droid phone and the steps are a bit different. This is the one area the Google has failed the droid community for you can't download the cartridge directly to your phone from the website and use it. Google doesn't use format preserving when storing downloads and this renders the cartridge useless to the app. Instead you have to email it to your phone's email as an attachment, or save it to your phone when it is attached to a computer, and save it in the Wheigo app folder.

The rest is the same regardless of phone.

I do have an older phone (Motorola HD, about 4 or 5 years old) and it will lock up while playing a cartridge if I have too many apps open or if I have C:geo open. In talking to the developers of C:geo, it appears the older operating system on the phone will not share the compass\GPS chip nicely with other apps. I have been told that the newer OS plays much better. Floaten has a newer droid phone so he may be able to offer more insight into that.

Just food for thought.

Kent
    My Galaxy S4 worked fine with C:Geo and Whereyougo opened at the same time. Keep in mind I've only done one Whereigo cache.

An update for those interested. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 today. I downloaded all my standard apps which included Whereyougo. Just for the heck of it I tried to download the Yuri's cache cartridge in Burns Park to my phone. I selected pocket pc and hit to download button and sure enough it began to download. I was surprised. The file was downloaded to the downloads folder on the phone so all I had to do was simply move it to the Whereyougo folder. I did that and the app detected it. I'm not sure what the difference is because both phones are running the same OS.

An additional query for iPhone users. Where are the cartridge files located to delete once the wherigo is completed? Edit/delete option I assume? Thanks..
    Last edited by SJClimber; 06-15-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJClimber View Post
    An additional query for iPhone users. Where are the cartridge files located to delete once the wherigo is completed? Edit/delete option I assume? Thanks..
    I can't answer where the files are located, but the Edit/Delete option is what I use to remove them from my iPhone! Seems to work fine.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen