Thread: Cubscout program

Cubscout program

If it can help towards any of Arkgeo's goals...Pizzaboy2600 and myself are speaking to a CubScout pack tomorrow in Alma. .
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

ORR has a slide show he uses. It's good. I've suggested before we use one slide show so we all get out the same message. It wouldn't take much to put what he has on a youtube account. You could pause as needed and interject to make it personal. I've suggested the PowerPoint going on two years now.

Will it work for 2nd graders? We're gonna set up a couple of temp caches and break them into two teams and show them how to use our GPSrs to find the caches. And show them a travel bug, we might release it and name it after them so they can follow it.
    Mother to 2 dogs - Foxer, the chicken herder and Bo, the pug, 1 kitty chupacabra princess Daksi and Married to a wonderful man, Pizzaboy2600.

And thanks! I'll holler at ORR.

The presentation I use is based upon Groundspeak's Introduction to Geocaching presentation, which is available for download to anyone via this link. I modified it slightly by changing the order of some of the slides and a few other minor tweaks, but it is a good basic presentation for groups like Cub Scouts. If you want a copy of my modified version, send me an email.

My friend Chuck Walla also has a Powerpoint presentation on the Do's and Don'ts of Geocaching ("Tips on How to Get Your Geocache Published Without Delay"), but this may be too advanced for an introductory session to a youth group. But if you want a copy of that presentation, Chuck says to send him an email.

Finally, if you have internet access, you may want to show some of Groundspeak's "Geocaching Basics" videos available on YouTube, found at this link.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Thank you. I've used the one from Geocaching before as well. I was hoping you had a super secret one! Yeah I don't think these 2nd graders are ready to publish caches yet, but good to know you have that in case we do an intro session over in these parts at some point.

Thanks again everyone for all the tips.

I forgot to mention that I will be the instructor for the Boy Scouts' Geocaching Merit Badge class at the Quapaw Area Council's Merit Badge University in Little Rock on May 10. I am developing a presentation for that session, to cover most of the merit badge's requirements, and I will be happy to provide it to anyone upon request after it is finished.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

This is what forums should be about. Members being able to get the ball rolling. ORR, I'm interested in a final copy of the Boy Scout presentation as it will hit on all the points so it can be versitale to other communities. East lab in hot springs wants a presentation including how to hide a cache. If you don't mind jjacoby05@yahoo.com. I'd like yours and chucks!

Just to let everyone know how things went...Program went great! They were little ones, so it was lots of show and tell and stories. And questions! Man did those boys have questions! The folks all seemed interested and as we let them the boys our GPSrs to find the temp cache we hid, several adults were seen downloading the app! I expect we might have a few more cachers pop up in the Alma area soon.

AND I posted my happiness with the event on Facebook and one of my students asked if we could come to her son's Cubscout program! We're hoping to make it or send a more local Cacher, so all in all I think it was a win!