Thread: Google Maps

RuffRidr Guest

Google Maps

I'm sure by now most of you are aware that Google has maps on there website. If you are not, you should check it out:

Google Maps

Anyway, they recently added something pretty cool to their maps. If you pull up one of their maps, you will see a link in the corner that says 'Satellite'. If you click on this link, it flips over to a Satellite imagery map. In full color even! The maps seemed fairly new to me. Perhaps around 2003 or so? Oh, one last thing. You can scroll these maps by clicking on the map and dragging them around. Very cool.

Anyway, I thought it was cool, so I thought I'd share with you all.

Edited to add: Hmm, I see they don't have total coverage. A lot of areas gives you the message that they don't have maps at that zoom level. Dang, hope they get all of the areas soon.

--RuffRidr

cachecrazies Guest
    Thanks for the link! Looks pretty neat - we just used it to look up the MOGA site next weekend!

Edited to add note:

Just saw an article on CNN page about privacy concerns with these maps - guess you gave us a VERY timely link! Here's the link to CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

What a great Idea but the zoomed in Pics are still a little bad, well atleast in the NWA it is.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

RuffRidr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    What a great Idea but the zoomed in Pics are still a little bad, well atleast in the NWA it is.
    Check out the ones in Springdale. They are pretty good, but as you scroll away from there, they get bad quickly.

--RuffRidr

Apparently, Google has opened up their new mapping software to let developers create Web sites and software applications using their mapping service. This may be a very good thing for Groundspeak. We'll see...

http://ap.thecabin.net/pstories/technol ... 1250.shtml
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Pignewton Guest
    These maps have been used extensively by the groups working on the Magellan Be There contest. There haven't been any caches in Arkansas and I don't expect there to be one. REI is one of the sponsors and there is usually one in the area to give out bonus clues. The message forums for the weekly challenges have folks from all over trying to figure out where the cache is and helping the folks in the area find it. No prizes to anyone but the cache finders but alot of people are making friends with folks in different areas by providing guesses in hopes that they will also be helped when one pops in their area.