Thread: Realistic question for you cachers

Treywpga Guest

Realistic question for you cachers

On Sunday, i am gonna hit as much of the state as possible to hit as many counties and Delorme pages and State Parks as possible. For you guys that have done these challenges.....what is a realistic goal??? Is half of the state realistic if I am going to spend ALL day ( sunrise to sunset) caching?

Thanks for your help!

My experience says that 1/2 the state is not a realistic goal. My trips included several overnight stays, but I'm located just five miles from Louisiana in extreme South Arkansas. I usually cache long before daylight until long after daylight. If you are more centrally located you may be able to get more parks, counties and pages than I did in a days time, but it takes longer to find some of these caches than it does others. I think a good day would be six or seven parks.

We are with Arkfiremedic - Arkansas is much easier to cover than some states, but we don't think you can cover even half the state in a day. Just our opinion. Hope you have FUN!!!
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by Treywpga View Post
    For you guys that have done these challenges.....what is a realistic goal??? Is half of the state realistic if I am going to spend ALL day ( sunrise to sunset) caching?

Thanks for your help!
    Nope, not this time of year, with daylight hours being at a minimum. Of course, if you plan on caching at night, that will help you cover more territory and complete more of the state. However, Arkansas is bigger than you may think, and covering even half the state to get counties, Delorme pages, and state parks, is totally unrealistic. You will enjoy your time in Arkansas much more if you actually take time to enjoy it! Forget the challenges and embrace the journey! What you are able to get done on this trip, so be it. But don't rush it. The rest will still be there when you return next.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner View Post
    Nope, not this time of year, with daylight hours being at a minimum. Of course, if you plan on caching at night, that will help you cover more territory and complete more of the state. However, Arkansas is bigger than you may think, and covering even half the state to get counties, Delorme pages, and state parks, is totally unrealistic. You will enjoy your time in Arkansas much more if you actually take time to enjoy it! Forget the challenges and embrace the journey! What you are able to get done on this trip, so be it. But don't rush it. The rest will still be there when you return next.
    This is some good advice that I'm going to take advantage of. I recently moved to Arkansas and I am quickly finding out how beautiful of a state you have here. Glad I made the move.

It all depends on where you start the day at. Based on my experience and planning your should divide the State into 5 sections. I have been on there runs to hit as many as I can, it takes longer than you think. Left at 7am from NLR went up to Bull Shoals State Park, Mammoth Springs, Lake Charles, Powhathan, Old Davidsonville, Lake Frierson, Crowleys Ridge, Herman Davis, got home at around 11PM.

The driving alone from one place to another is going to eat up your time. So don't think you can divide the state into 2 sections. Like others have stated it needs to be in 3 to 5 sections, even if you are centrally located. Good luck on hunting, driving, and looking at the many things this state has to offer.