Thread: December 2013 Geocacher Profile

December 2013 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Bruce Crane aka QuartzCachers should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    QuartzCachers

How did you choose your handle?

I wanted a name that was indicative of the area I am from, and crystalcachers sounded a little bit like something else that I didn't want to be associated with, so I came up with QuartzCachers. The name wasn't taken. LOL!

How long have you been geocaching?

March 25 marks the sixth anniversary of my first find. Although I didn't have an account until April of that year. (2007)

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

Ouachita Pinnacle (GCVZHE) by flannelman, and there is a great story that is too long to include here. Just assume that I went the LONG way, and had an 800 foot climb, because the road that I knew that went up there was blocked off by the Forest Service. There is another road that we found when we got to the top. I was in serious trouble. LOL!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    I no longer have a regular partner.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    Depends on the puzzle. if it's one that is solvable by math or other deductive measures, I will stay with it for a bit. If it is something else, I typically don't have time to devote to it. I'm a pretty busy guy, with a lot of irons in the fire.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    Clarksville, was the geocaching Mecca when I first got into this, and some of the original masters reside there. My daughter lived nearby, so I visited often when I first started, and that area just holds a special place in my geocaching heart. Also, Glenwood when Cachemates were active, Russellville, Hot Springs, and the area around Jefferson, Tx. Great times!

Do you do paperless caching?

Ummmm...yeah. Does anybody still print out cache pages and take them with now? I did it that way for a long time though!

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

I would recommend someone else take up geocaching for the same reasons I fell in love with it. Being out and around, and seeing places and things I would have never known about. It is a very good game for people who want to know what is going on around them. Also, I have made many great friends doing this. It's like a semi-secret community.

Where are you originally from?

Kansas, but I've lived in Arkansas for 42 years. I still consider both places home, and have caches placed in both states.

In what states have you geocached?

Oh my! Let's see...AR, OK, LA, TX, KS, MO, MS, TN, AL (new caches to be hidden here soon), GA, FL, NC, MA. I don't have as many states on my map as most old timers, I guess. I don't get to travel as much as I would like.

What was your first event ever attended?

National Trails Day CITO GC12WJK on 06/02/2007. I met Woodwalker, Cachemates, SJclimber and flannelman there, among others. I remain friends with these people still, and I assume I always will.

How many caches have you found?

5042, but only 553 of these have come in the last three years. I went back to school and then went through some tough personal times, so I have laid low for a while now. I still check in regularly, and I still try to maintain my cacher status, even though I have had to be less active of late.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

I have no preference really. I like them ALL!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

Famous cache? I don't think I have found a "famous cache", but I intend to get Mingo one day.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

Disposable. I like the Lithium Ion ones. (camera batteries)

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

This is a good question. I love finding caches, as anyone who knows me will tell you, but I see myself as more of a hider these days.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?

Just to make the finder happy. I hope that my caches are fun and memorable to people.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?

Ammo can, but boy are they getting harder to come by!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?

"Shame On Me" GC1B2KB I loved this one, because it made you think, and was an original idea of mine, that I have seen copied many times now. I had to archive it before there was such a thing as favorite points, but two people have gone back and given it a favorite anyway! That says a lot to me. Currently, "So Easy A Caveman Could Do It" GC2JHET would be my favorite hide.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?

That is a good question and probably has as many answers as geocachers. Some people have more time to devote to hiding and maintaining caches than others, so the answer would be different for all. I DO think that it is only fair to ask that people who find caches hide them as well. To not do so, is selfish in my book.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

I heard about it on Channel 4 in a story about state parks. They were featuring it, and I had a GPS already, so it was a natural hobby for me. My family calls me map boy because I love maps and spatial pursuits. I am a surveyor in real life, so it really fits in well with that.

What's your favorite geocache?

Oh goodness! There have been a lot of caches that I have enjoyed tremendously! Let's see...GC13AEW "Danville-Mickles Bowstring Bridge" by Topotrex, in it's original form, GC34NDZ "Hickcalibur" by AR Hick, GC134V5 "Batters Up" by Woowalker, and GC1E8WE "Tin Man" by Likestocanoe. I can't choose a single favorite. LOL!

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

Nevada. ET trail.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

Typically by myself or with one other person. I don't particularly care for going in a group at all.

How many First to Finds do you have?

Oh geez...my list says 169, but I quit counting a while back...

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?

I used to be. I chased 'em hard for a while, but that got to be too much. 40 miles for notifications.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

Hunting and...well, hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by MathSeeker View Post
    Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
    Typically by myself or with one other person. I don't particularly care for going in a group at all.
    Less witnesses when one of the cachers backs his cache-mobile into a telephone pole! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey McGillicutty View Post
    Less witnesses when one of the cachers backs his cache-mobile into a telephone pole! LOL
    Sounds like I've missed a story somewhere along the way! haha!

Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic View Post
    Sounds like I've missed a story somewhere along the way! haha!
    We (I) didn't almost take out power & shake the lines a half mile down the road, enough to get a farmer-on-an-ATV's attention.

I do not know what you're talking about. Nope, no story here. Nothing to see. These are not the droids you're looking for.

Bruce, you know we love you and glad you were chosen as Geocacher of the Month!
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt