Thread: November 2012 Geocacher Profile

November 2012 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Justin Murphree aka arkfiremedic should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? arkfiremedic

How did you choose your handle?
    Lifelong resident of Arkansas and a full time firefighter paramedic for the City of El Dorado.

How long have you been geocaching? I signed up and found my first cache in September of 2008.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it? I had a friend I worked with who had been caching for a while and he got my GPS set up for me and we were off to find a cache, the closest one to our location. It is now archived but it was K is for Klosed- GC1EY3M

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? Group caching is fun, but since there is not much interest in my area (or my spouse) I usually go alone or with my favorite caching buddy, The cacher formerly known as 2ter.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    There is hardly any puzzle caches in my area so I’ve never been big on them.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    I have more finds in Garland County and Hot Springs areas as I do my home town. There are not only some awesome caches there, but many awesome people as well. I also loved caching in the Clarksville and Russellville area as well.

Do you do paperless caching? Yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    To hide I have my original GPS a Bushnell Onix 200CR. It seems more accurate for hiding than the one I use for finding, a Garmin Colorado 400T.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? It gets you out of the house, off the couch, and away to the television to see some of the neatest things and the best places and people.

Where are you originally from?
    Lower Arkansas

In what states have you geocached? 1) Arkansas, 2) Louisiana, 3) Texas, 4) Oklahoma, 5) Missouri, 6) Mississippi, 7) Alabama, 8 ) Florida, 9) Georgia, 10) South Carolina, 11) North Carolina, 12) Virginia, 13) West Virginia, 14) Ohio, 15) Kentucky, 16) Indiana, 17) Michigan, 18 ) Illinois, 19) Wisconsin 20) Tennessee and also Mexico (Cozumel).

What was your first event ever attended? The original Spudnut event put on by rklmbl in El Dorado in February of 2009. I’ve attended 50 more events since.

How many caches have you found? 3199

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? If you have found any of mine of course my favorite is the ammo box, but they sprout legs too often and have gotten very expensive to replace, so it has to be the Baby Soda Bottle (BSB or Baby Coke others may know it by). It is relatively cheap, indestructible, and virtually waterproof if the cache finder screws the lid on tight.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? By favorite points GCE02C VIEW CARRE ' in New Orleans (695),GCJZDR Cloud Gate aka The Bean (378 ) in Chicago, GCGFHX Marie Laveau, Voodoo Queen GC9073 New Orleans (170), Reflections/snoitcelfeR Louisville (165), GC2D90K Raining Letters in Louisville (this is the cache with the best bathroom view ever!) (148 )

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Both. Short trips rechargeable, but long trips disposable.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? Hiding a tad bit better.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    Yep; to give away smileys to others.

What is you favorite type of cache hide? Easiest to hide- BSB painted and tethered to a limb.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    I take pride in the revisit of the “Tool Time” series by cachemates.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    I’ve tried to maintain one hide to ten finds or so, but I doubt that will continue. I've got enough now to keep up with and add my daughters to that it adds up to a lot.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? A friend told me about it.

What's your favorite geocache? Probably GCE02C VIEW CARRE ' in New Orleans. I also enjoyed the Arkansas State Parkcache series, the Arkansas County Challenge, the Arkansas DeLorme Challenge, the Louisiana Office of State Parks Geo-Challenge, the Louisiana Parish Challenge, and the Louisiana DeLorme Challenge.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    I would like to go to the northeast and out west to get all the states I haven’t cached in.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? Mostly by myself, but a group can be much more fun.

How many First to Finds do you have?

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? Depending on what the cache is. I really humped it to complete the Arkansas County Challenge first and the Louisiana Office of State Parks Geo Project cache first. This consisted of caching some 20+ hour days and extended trips. My settings are out to 50 miles, but I rarely go out of my way for an ordinary FTF.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    I love to spend time with my family. I also cycle, hike, go camping, and wood working. Maybe someday I will be as good as that as some other Arkansas Cachers in woodworking.

pshelto Guest

Afm

Not much interest in your area?! Don't tell me that LA is slowing down in the geocaching world! Good bio.

drmo913 Guest
    Love it! Thanks Justin!

Thanks Justin!

TinmanJones Guest
    That was a fun read!