Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-H Presentation

T'nH Guest

4-H Presentation

Hi! In October, the boys and I will be doing a program on geocaching for our White County Homeschool 4-H Club.

I feel confident we can do this but thought I'd share to see if anyone had any ideas or if the Arkgeo had some standardized resources to use.

Here is what we plan to do.

We should have access to the audio-visual booth so plan to use a geocaching.com video. I'll show the website as well.

My teen will be learning to use PowerPoint by putting together a short presentation. I'm thinking basic info, safety, tips, and pictures (I photograph a lot of our caching--and often include "can you see the cache" pics).

At the summer meeting I picked up a big stack of those small green Arkgeo cards knowing that we were on the docket to do this presentation.

We will have access to the church grounds/woods to hide a variety of caches (Won't be published, just for learning. There is one real one on the premises). I'll probably get a bunch of 4-H goodies to have for each club member to pick one at the end of the day to not have to deal with swapping with that many kids.

I have someone looking to see if we can borrow some receivers from their work. Maybe some can do the phone apps (mine isn't smart enough so I know nothing about this). Does anyone in the group have receivers they lone out for this type of thing?

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

Does anyone have an ammo can that I can borrow? I'd use it for one of the "in the woods" caches. I have other large container but thought an ammo can would be fun. I can always show the pics I have of us with ammo cans.

Thanks!

T'nH (Carla)

Hey Carla,
    Wow! Sounds fun, put us down for being there.... ! Okay just kidding... I have a few ammo boxes that you can use for your demonstrations. I have a few 30's and 1 or 2 50's, I think I have at least one more that is for small rockets too that you are welcome to use also. Shoot me a PM with info on how to reach you and/or where we can meet. If it is a weekday, Kim will probably be the one meeting you.

Also, it sounds like you have already put forth a lot of thought on the presentation. I know when we do presentations we usually like to cover other type caches too, so if you would like, I can throw in: BSB (Baby Soda Bottle), nano, match stick safe and a few others if you would like.

Thanks - Kent

T'nH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knkincabot View Post
    Hey Carla,
    Wow! Sounds fun, put us down for being there.... ! Okay just kidding... I have a few ammo boxes that you can use for your demonstrations. I have a few 30's and 1 or 2 50's, I think I have at least one more that is for small rockets too that you are welcome to use also. Shoot me a PM with info on how to reach you and/or where we can meet. If it is a weekday, Kim will probably be the one meeting you.

Also, it sounds like you have already put forth a lot of thought on the presentation. I know when we do presentations we usually like to cover other type caches too, so if you would like, I can throw in: BSB (Baby Soda Bottle), nano, match stick safe and a few others if you would like.

Thanks - Kent
    Great! I'll be in touch. Once he starts working on the presentation in a couple of weeks I'll narrow down what we need. Right now we're focused on a CLEP test.

Hey let me know what you might need, I might be able to help you.

T'nH Guest
    Thanks!

T'nH Guest
    For parents willing to use their phones for our session, what is the easiest free app that can be used for finding a few caches.

I don't have a smartphone so I haven't read any of the info off of geocaching.com. So, if anyone has suggestions to save me the time/headache of researching this for a one day presentation I'd be VERY grateful.

c:geo on android phones is free and easy to use.
    Couple that with "GPS Toolbox" and you have a pretty good caching setup (GPS Toolbox provides a nice, easy to understand readout while trying to arrive at the cache.)

If they install both of these apps, they will locate the cache in c:geo and hit the navigate button. This will ask them how they want to navigate (Driving, maps, etc..). I would advise the "Radar" option, which is installed when you install GPS Toolbox.

T'nH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post
    Couple that with "GPS Toolbox" and you have a pretty good caching setup (GPS Toolbox provides a nice, easy to understand readout while trying to arrive at the cache.)

If they install both of these apps, they will locate the cache in c:geo and hit the navigate button. This will ask them how they want to navigate (Driving, maps, etc..). I would advise the "Radar" option, which is installed when you install GPS Toolbox.
    Thanks!

T'nH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kcackler View Post

What about for iphone?

Sorry, we don't have any i-devices in our arsenal.