Thread: Can't Find Benchmark in Database

Can't Find Benchmark in Database

This weekend, I found a benchmark (or what I believe to be a benchmark). However, when I went to log it, I couldn't find this particular one listed in the NGS database.

I have tried using the geocaching.com search funtion to search by designation, but had no luck, and none of the nearby marks match this location or description. Is it possible that this one is not in the database?

What's your method for logging benchmarks when you find them by "accident"?

**EDIT: Here's a picture of the one I found. On second look, I see that it is stamped "Corps of Engineers". Is this why I'm not finding it in the NGS database?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

thenaturenurd Guest

excellent question

try this page NGS datasheet you can search on it. You might find it you might not. Not all benchmarks are in there for one reason or another. Geo TB1 may know more about it than me.

Craig

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Is this by any chance in Cadron Creek Settlement? I found a Corps of Engineers Bench Mark out there and it wasn't in the Geocaching.Com database. My guess is that Corps bench marks are in a different database.

Guy

cachemates Guest
    Gaddiel
    I found a benchmark like that on the Sprada trail at Clarksville, just up the trail from the Vincennes bridge cache. Not sure if you can log that type with ngs.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    Is this by any chance in Cadron Creek Settlement?
    No, this one was near Beaverfork Lake. But I think you all might be right about the Corps marks...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Phantom_491 Guest
    I also have found some marks that are not in the database. Some of the Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) benchmarks are not in the database. I have also found an Army Corps of Engineers survey marker that isn't in the database. It's on Pinnacle Valley Road heading out towards the 'Bats Abound' cache. I haven't double checked the NGS database on these, but I know they aren't in the GC.com BM database.

thenaturenurd Guest

correct

Marks from alot of the other agencies did not make the cut to be included in NGS. Corps of Engineers is one of these agencies. Several of their marks (possibly all of them ) are not associated with NGS. Since the Corps is part of the Dept of the Army I dont think thats too odd really.

visit this site for more info...

National Geodetic Survey

Here you can learn all you want to know (and more!!) about the NGS.

Good luck!

Craig

GEO Guest

A.C.E.

ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS.
    This data set has to do with all navigatable waters within the Interior of the United States.
    It is a different data base.
    Headquarters is Littte Rock.

All Agencies have there seperate data sets and good luck getting any of the data.