Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of caches in cemeteries?

nonnipoppy Guest

What do you think of caches in cemeteries?

A recent discussion in GC.com forum about a bill in South Carolina prompted some discussion about banning caches in cemeteries, historic and archaeological sites. I wish to seperate the cemetery issue from that discussion to get your opinion.

What do you think? Good or bad? Fun or wierd?

Please keep in mind that we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Let the discussion begin....poppy

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I grew up across the road from a cemetery, played in it as a kid, kept it mowed as a teenager and lived beside it several years. Some of the best neighbors I ever had.

Any property where we engage in our geocaching activity, whether it be public or private, should be respected. Cemeteries are no different. If we all act responsibly we can geocache in cemeteries and not do any harm. However, IF is a big word. If pigs had wings they could fly. If the dog hadn't stopped to ... well, you get the picture.

If everyone would "do right" there would be no need for laws.

Those of you who have read my entry for the "Super Duper" Travel Bug (TB51CF) know that there is quite a story about the beginnings of Morrilton and two men in particular. Well, the other day I was out just walking around in an old cemetery enjoying the warm afternoon marveling at the way some people decorate graves when what did I stumble upon? None other than the grave of James M. Moose, the man I had written about in my log. It made goose bumps come over me.

Poppy, I agree with everything you said in your log on the other thread.

One small question though. If we can disagree without being disagreeable, does that mean that if we agree we are not agreeable?

Geezer

southdeltan Guest
    I'd wager there are close to (if not more than) 100 geocachers in MS cemetaries. These are almost always among my favorite caches. Many of the cemetaries get few, if any, regular visitors.

They're a favorite setting for geocaches in our state.

sd

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I have been to many cemeteries doing genealogy research and have seen all forms of disrespect from neglect, to outright vandalism and theft of markers. I have seen it from vandals that have pushed and/or driven over stones, to mowers who have busted up stones with bushhogs, to researchers who have used black magic markers on stones or markers as an easy way to photo (I use sun angle or shaving cream if it is just to faint to make out and has not yet been researched), to possum holes and people walking dogs and letting them mark stones

I came upon an abandoned cemetery and spent an average of three 10hr days per week for 4 years cleaning it up and researching it, finding over 150 graves more then were listed at the archives. I have cached in and around cemeteries. I have leveled and/or repaired broken stones of people I never even heard of, I have picked up trash from one end of this state to the other for no reason other then I have respect. I see geocachers as being cut from this same cloth and think them as maybe the most respectful group of people I have been associated with so if I needed to fear someone or some activity in a cemetery it certainly would not be geochachers or the activity of caching.
    Your mileage may vary and I respect that.

demonicangel Guest
    Ok, I have to get my 2 cents in now. Personally caching in cemetary's are some of my favorites around, AND the first cache I put out was in a cemetary. Now to explain. I choose the place for mine as it is a cemetary close to home and the final resting place for both my parents. I love the area and think it's beautiful. I wanted to bring people in, and wanted it to be people who would respect the area. And from experience, the cachers I have met are some of the most respectful people around! They take much better care of the area they are in than most of our local "teens" do.
    Also, I enjoy wandering around and seeing all the tombstones and memorials people have placed. It just makes for a very enjoyable visit. At least to me it does. I have gotten some wonderful pictures of some lovely areas when out geocaching in and around cemetarys.
    I would hate to see it outlawed just over some people, or some people's perception. Yeah, I'm sure there are some people out there who geocach who aren't as considerate as others, but as a whole I think our group does a better job of taking care areas than a lot of others do. More often than not, leaving the place in better shape than they found it in the first place.

RuffRidr Guest
    I dunno, something about cemetary caches just weirds me out. I don't really care to do them. I have an uneasy feeling that a groundskeeper or someone is going to find me snooping around. I also, just have a general uneasy feeling. Some day I'll be spending a lot of time in one, so for now I'll just stay away as much as possible. That being said, I do still do them, I am addicted to finding just about any kind of geocache, those included. I also think its perfectly fine that others like doing them. If you like them, then by all means hide them. I'll probably find them, but not until I exhaust every other type of cache around.

--Ruffridr

thenaturenurd Guest

Groundskeeper Willie

Yeah I am afraid the Scottish Guy from the Simpsons might be there and try to get me.

I find cemetaries very intresting, I have yet to search for any caches in any yet. I think as several have said before its all up to the cache placer and the finder as to how much caches stand out or fit in to their environment. A cache is only appropriate in my opinion (whatever that is worth...not much probably ) where it adds to and not detracts from the experience. I think it should also provide some protection to the resource in which it is placed. We cant help to impact an area...humans can tread lightly, but there is still disturbance to an area no matter what we do. The cache experience should not only be the enjoyment of the find but also the appreciation of the immediate location in which is it placed.

It just takes one bad apple to ruin the whole bunch.

Just my .02

Craig

ps - If you like cemetary caches (placing or finding them)...I say go for it. Just watch out for Willie. http://www.thesimpsons.com/characters/home.htm

RuffRidr Guest
    Here's a cemetary cache that was in my area a while back. This is the kind of confrontations I want to avoid. Different cachers searching for this one ran into an angry "warden", the cops, and an understanding caretaker. As I understand it, the cache in question was even in a picture about vandals in the cemetary, even tho the article itself did not mention Geocaching.

Again, nothing against cemetary caches, I just prefer other hides a lot more.

--RuffRidr

Love 'em. Cemeteries are full of history and are very interesting places to just wander around. I strongly agree with Geezer that this type of cache needs to abide by the same rules as any other: permission if required, respect for the location, and maintenance when needed. Remember that the each grave site is (usually) land that is owned by someone, as is the cemetery itself. Proper respect and reverence go a long way here.

By the way, I've found the comments in this thread to be very interesting. I, too, had a summer job mowing a couple of cemeteries near my parents' home. I'll admit it creeped me out at first...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

LadyEngineer Guest
    I love the cemetery caches also. The history of the entire human race can be found in them. You can find great piece of information about a family. I do geneology research in cemeteries and send any photos I take to a national database so other geneologist can research online tombstones of their ancesters.

I may be doing a cemetery cache in Lonoke soon. There is a great cemetary I pass every day that is beautifully kept with lost of neat history.