Thread: July 2013 Geocacher Profile

July 2013 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Mark and Melanie Willis & family aka thefab5willisclan should be the next cachers to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    thefab5willisclan or "fab5" for short

How did you choose your handle?
    When we decided to create a name we all got together but we couldn't all decide on one name, so we just put all of our ideas into one name. But in hindsight, I wish we could have picked something much shorter, It's hard to put "thefab5willisclan" on a nano log!

How long have you been geocaching?
    We found our first Cache on June 17th, 2011

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    All five of us loaded up in the car and went to the closest Cache to us. It is called 107 Micro (GC20AKB) by CrazyCowboy. It took us about thirty minutes and I was sure it wasn't there. Then I checked one more place, and there it was. It was the coolest thing ever!!!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?

For Casual Caching I take my wife and most of my kids. But about once a month I load up with Paladinds1961 and the two of us, along with maybe Razz007 or Festus, head off to grab a power trail or 4.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    I have been working on Beale's Cypher (GC1YEP2) since I started Geocaching. I may put it up for a while but I never give up!

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?

I love the Clinton area. Some of my favorite Caches have been there, including my first First To Find.
    "Night Hiker" has some of the coolest Caches anywhere!

Do you do paperless caching?

Yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    Garmin etrex 20

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    Where do I start with this one? Fun, Entertaining, Intriguing, a great family activity, a great way to meet new and interesting people, AND I like finding things!

Where are you originally from?
    The Russellville, AR area but moved to Jacksonville, AR, where my wife has lived most of her life, about 20 years ago.

In what states have you geocached?
    Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Indiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois

What was your first event ever attended?

Choctaw Lunchtime eat And greet, hosted by AR-HICK, in August of 2011. This is where we met Woodwalker, Mathseeker, and RKLMBL! I must say that the whole family LOVES events. They may not always want to go Caching but they are always ready to go to an event.

How many caches have you found?

3222, well, it will be that many when I get all of my logs caught up. The official number as of 6/27 is 3196

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
    Non-typical containers

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

I guess Gorilla Stash (GC1B), the oldest Cache in Arkansas

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    Finding

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    I want to make the finder think. I want them to WANT to write a good log.

What is you favorite type of cache hide?
    A field puzzle Cache like the I.C. series by KnKinCabot

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    The Angel (GC363PW) It is disabled right now while they remodel the store it's in front of, but I hope to have it back up soon. It requires the finder to disassemble an angel to get the next set of coordinates. (For reading this you get a hint: start with the head)
    My Little Buddy (GC32RJM) A tricky little Cache. The hint for it is: look on the fence from the back side. Close to the end.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    Not sure about a ratio, but I think you should find at least a few before hiding your first. But we might could get some really unique hides from someone who don't know all the usual "normal" places.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

My cousin told me about Geocaching, and took me to find a couple of Caches in a park in Benton. We didn't find either Cache, but I was hooked and couldn't wait to get home to tell the rest of the clan about it. We set up our account and found our first one soon after.

What's your favorite geocache?
    Wow! Thats a tough one! I wish I could give my top 100 or something. I think my favorite virtual was Reflections/snoitcelfeR (2002) (GC9073) found while we were at geowoodstockX. One of my favorite puzzle Caches was anything by woodwalker and most recently I.C. Shortwave (GC485GZ) by KnKinCabot. As far as regular Caches our first really cool Cache was Heads up! (GC30NTJ) by Night Hiker in Clinton.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

The world! We would just travel the world Caching everywhere we went!

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

A group of course!

How many First to Finds do you have?

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    I don't get to go after them as much as I used to because of my job. But Catch me on a good weekend and I will be on them like white on rice! I have my miles set on the max it would let me.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    Genealogy, and golf but I don't have time for either. I haven't touched a golf club in over a year, and there are always geocaching logs to catch up on when I set at the computer, so I don't get to do any genealogy research either. Geocaching has taken the place of all my other hobbies. I just realized that all my hobbies start with a G. The three G's.

Just an update. The Angel (GC363PW) is back up and ready to be found. With lots of new swag and even an unregistered travel bug tag. Thanks to everyone for their patience, especially Chuckwalla!!!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan