Thread: May 2013 Geocacher Profile

May 2013 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Max & Roylene Slaughter aka nonnipoppy should be the next cachers to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    nonnipoppy

How did you choose your handle?
    Our grandchildren call Roylene, my bride, nonni and they call me poppy. We contracted the name and became nonnipoppy

How long have you been geocaching?
    Since 2002

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    Roylene had read an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette about geocaching and we were a bit intrigued and already owned a Garmin handheld GPS. We traveled to Ada OK in support of our son who was finishing a 100 mile bicycle race there. We looked for our first physical cache with an approach that would make the Keystone Cops proud. The coordinates were set to the wrong format and we did not know to place a waypoint and search for that spot. Instead we tried to walk around until the readings on the GPS were the same as the coordinates of the cache. Needless to say that first ever cache hunt was a dismal failure. We did find GC 7146 a virtual cache called "The Secret Of Sherwood Forrest".

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    We have not actively cached in a few years. When were were active it was mostly nonni, Golfnutz, and rklmbl.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    If it was a math puzzle about 30 seconds. Other types would get more attention particularly if they caught our fancy.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    Far to many to name them all. Searcy where Woodwalker had great hides, Glenwood where Cachemates did phenomenal things with their hides, Pueblo Co where Milkman had some very inventive caches, Germany with our German cache friend --------------, and Vienna Austria where Golfnutz and I had an amazing time with thousands of people around us speaking a language we did not understand. We felt a bit like James Bond on a mission.

Do you do paperless caching?
    Yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    Garmin 60csx

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    It is inexpensive, entertaining, and very educational.

Where are you originally from?
    Levelland, Texas

In what states have you geocached?
    Washington, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi off the top of my head.

What was your first event ever attended?
    We hosted it here in Clarksville I believe along with Golfnutz

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
    Unique hides or containers

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
    No clue about this answer

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
    disposable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    finds

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    uniqueness

What is you favorite type of cache hide?
    Unique

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    Most of our hides are now either archived or have been adopted.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    I think this is actually different for different people.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
    Roylene had read an article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette about geocaching and we were a bit intrigued and already owned a Garmin handheld GPS.

What's your favorite geocache?
    ???

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    Australia

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
    group

How many First to Finds do you have?
    No clue

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    No

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    Photography

This is a nice piece from Max, but he is looking at geocaching through the "rear-view mirror." It has been disappointing that this great couple and Golfnutz no longer participate in geocaching. Their events, caches and individual interaction with many of us across the state in the past are "sorely" missed.
    Last edited by SJClimber; 05-04-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Amen, SJ

Yeah some of his replies reflected the obvious, that they no longer cache. I met them at the RKLMBL 10,000 event, nice folks. We all have our own personal agenda and life changes our focus. They still care about geocaching, he corrected me when I said "Oh yeah you don't cache anymore, It is nice to meet you" NP said "No, we just don't cache as often as we used too" So the interest is still there, I felt by that statement. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud