Thread: Vision and Mission Statements

Vision and Mission Statements

Your ArkGeo Steering Committee has voted to recommend the adoption of the following vision and mission statements for the Arkansas Geocachers Association:

VISION

Arkansas Geocachers Association exists for the purposes of promoting and improving geocaching in Arkansas. Through education and by example, we are committed to the idea of utilizing this challenging, fullfilling, and family-friendly activity as a means by which we will engage in the preservation of the natural, unspoiled landscapes of the state of Arkansas by encouraging members to maintain the highest level of respect for parks, trails, and other areas in which geocaching may be conducted.
    .................................................. .................................................. .

MISSION

To promote and improve the quality of geocaching in Arkansas by
    1) promoting programs that encourage environment-friendly behaviors;
    2) assisting in the facilitation of increased communications among geocachers;
    3) establishing and coordinating dialog and cooperation with landowners in addition to federal, state, and local agencies;
    4) maintaining geocaching as a family-friendly activity.

As you know, a mission statement is important to any organized group. Adopting these statements will not only give us a goal and purpose, it will also serve as a guide for the committee to make future recommendations.

We should thank GEO for this suggestion and for getting the ball rolling. You can read about prior discussions regarding the development of these statements here.

Please comment in this thread.

looks good too me
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

GEO Guest

Very good to me too..........

Looks good,I am glad to see this happening.
    I am not as vocal lately just been sitting back,listening.

thenaturenurd Guest

not to mince words...

Id rather us see the word "conservation" as opposed to "preservation" myself.

Just FYI...Preservation (according to dictionary.com)..."To keep in perfect or unaltered condition; maintain unchanged."

(according to Merriam-Webster online) Conservation..."a careful preservation and protection of something; especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect."

As a state park person and a degreed forester I am little wary of using preservation...normally that means non-use of an area. Conservation means wise use of an area such as the US National Forest lands which were set aside for the purposes of timber, recreation, wildlife, range, and other multiple uses.

For more on this please see this link.

Thanks for putting this list together steering commitee looks good!

Your friendly neighborhood forester and park ranger...

Craig aka arparkguy (aka sparkyarky )

Re: not to mince words...

Quote Originally Posted by arparkguy
    Id rather us see the word "conservation" as opposed to "preservation" myself.

Just FYI...Preservation (according to dictionary.com)..."To keep in perfect or unaltered condition; maintain unchanged."

(according to Merriam-Webster online) Conservation..."a careful preservation and protection of something; especially : planned management of a natural resource to prevent exploitation, destruction, or neglect."
    Excellent suggestion! I'm in agreement that the wording should be altered. Thanks for the careful consideration of our future mission!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile