Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with educational programs during geocaching event

The.Wild.Coxes Guest

Help with educational programs during geocaching event

I am a park interpreter at Crater of Diamonds State Park, in Murfreesboro, and am currently planning a geocaching volunteer event on Saturday, April 27. I was wondering if there are any geocachers who attend such events to educate the general public about geocaching. I would like to schedule programs during the event for other park visitors to learn about geocaching and possibly search for a geocache as a group. Unfortunately we don't have any GPS units for this type of program.
    Is there anyone out there with the educational resources and equipment available who would be willing to provide educational programs at this event? Any help is appreciated!

I'm from El Dorado and I won't be able to volunteer on April 27, but I am anxiously awaiting our family camping trip to your park July 1-6. I can't wait. I've only gotten the ParkCache there and have many more on the to-do list while there. I wish I could help out with your event.

You probably know a cacher right in your back yard. Patricia Thomas (I think they go by Down in the Woods), I believe she use to work at the Crater, but is now down at Old Washington. I know they are going through a lot right now, but she might be able to lend a hand - I just don't know.

We can help. You might talk to the extension service in your area. They have access to GPS's for educational purposes.

The.Wild.Coxes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic View Post
    I'm from El Dorado and I won't be able to volunteer on April 27, but I am anxiously awaiting our family camping trip to your park July 1-6. I can't wait. I've only gotten the ParkCache there and have many more on the to-do list while there. I wish I could help out with your event.
    There are a lot of geocaches around Murfreesboro. Hope you enjoy yourselves and are able to make it back for a future CITO!

Missed your post until this morning.... Sorry. We might be able to be there to help. Will know by the end of March. We would be happy to help with visitors or in any other manner. Don't know about Terry and Patricia, but know they will help if able. I will watch this post and get back with you as soon as we know for sure if we can attend or not. Our suggestion is to contact your Extension Service and your EAST group to see if they have gps units you can borrow.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt

The.Wild.Coxes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwhite View Post
    You probably know a cacher right in your back yard. Patricia Thomas (I think they go by Down in the Woods), I believe she use to work at the Crater, but is now down at Old Washington. I know they are going through a lot right now, but she might be able to lend a hand - I just don't know.
    Yes, I worked with Patricia at the Crater for a long time!

The.Wild.Coxes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by likestocanoe View Post
    Missed your post until this morning.... Sorry. We might be able to be there to help. Will know by the end of March. We would be happy to help with visitors or in any other manner. Don't know about Terry and Patricia, but know they will help if able. I will watch this post and get back with you as soon as we know for sure if we can attend or not. Our suggestion is to contact your Extension Service and your EAST group to see if they have gps units you can borrow.
    I tried calling the extension office this morning, and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about! I will have to try the EAST lab to see what they have available.

I would be able to help out, doubt if Glynn could. Will watch this thread for more details.

The.Wild.Coxes Guest
    Would anyone be interested in helping organize the overall CITO event?? We have the date set and a project in mind, but I could use someone more experienced to plan the event and other related activities for geocachers. We have an enclosed pavilion that could be used as a meet-up area before and after the project, and I have a number of repurposed military first aid boxes that make excellent temporary geocaches! Please contact me on here or at my work e-mail, Waymon.Cox@arkansas.gov, if you can help.