Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GC's New Look

LadyEngineer Guest

GC's New Look

Man, don't check GC for a two days because you have a sick child and the whole world changes! When did the change take place? What does everyone think of the new look?

I know one thing I'm not trilled about: if you have background photos to add to your cache pages, they are now not any good because there isn't enough room on the edges of each cache page.

What about everyone else????

It changed sometime between midnight last night and noon this morning. I'm not too crazy about it either.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

southdeltan Guest
    It happened sometime between 7am CDT and 12 noon CDT. (to be more specific)

I LOVE it.

One of the minor complaints has been the decrease in the "background' that can be seen but a compromise on that has been mentioned. It won't go back to the old size - but they may show more.

GEO will be happy - Benchmarking has a link on the front page.

I love the bookmark lists and the IGNORE LIST.

southdeltan

LUV IT, LUV IT, LUV IT!!!

Been waiting for the Ignore and Bookmark list for a long time. They have been talking about this for a while. I was about to decide that they had given up on the project...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

southdeltan Guest
    I've found that if they say they will do something they do it the majority of the time. The problem with the slow addition of new features has a lot to do with 2 things:

1. Jeremy is the main programmer (I'd say he does the majority, if not all, of the major work himself) and he also has to handle stuff besides development. They've added a few people to help with other stuff (like Hydee) but he's still got a full plate.

2. The website and database has grown to be fairly large so they have to make sure that new additions and changes won't have undesired effects.

There are some other reasons as well - but from what I've read and discussed with volunteers this has a LOT to do with it.

-------

I'm glad to see all of the features and now that this is in, it'll be easier for them to add more new stuff.

sd

RuffRidr Guest
    I don't think I care for the new color scheme and layout changes. I mean the old way already was pretty cool. The new layout seems more cold and uninviting.

Hit refresh on the front page. The images at the top rotate. I think that is pretty cool. I spent 5 minutes just hitting refresh and checking out all of the cool pictures.

The bookmark lists are waaaaay cool. I see this as being a big feature of the site. Also, it sounds like they are expanding on this and making special lists with added funtionality (ie. top 5% list). This is a definite plus. I guess the ignore list is ok too, but I don't see myself using that a whole lot.

--RuffRidr

southdeltan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RuffRidr
    Hit refresh on the front page. The images at the top rotate. I think that is pretty cool. I spent 5 minutes just hitting refresh and checking out all of the cool pictures.
    You're not the first person to say that! Jeremy said he was going to add a gallery so people could just go look at them instead of having to refresh the page over and over again.

sd

thenaturenurd Guest

another neat feature...

I agree. I think overall very good move for them. It would be nice and I think GEO would agree with me...if there was a way to query benchmarks and do them like a gpx file. Then you could spin them onto your pda like cache files. I would like that alot. I think everyrthing else looks good. I happen to like that shade of green. Green is my favorite color (me being a forester and all...) and that shade is pleasing to my eyes at least.

Craig

Team_LiquidCache Guest
    I, like Lady Engineer, took a couple of days off from looking at the site. When I looked at it I thought my favorites list might be screwed up. I have been so busy the last week that I haven't been able to really check out all the new stuff, but so far it does seem to be a bit easier on the eyes. I'm looking forward to checking out all the new features ya'll have mentioned in this post.
    I wonder if they also upgraded their servers so that the site doesn't bog down so much.....

southdeltan Guest

Re: another neat feature...

Quote Originally Posted by arparkguy
    It would be nice and I think GEO would agree with me...if there was a way to query benchmarks and do them like a gpx file. Then you could spin them onto your pda like cache files. I would like that alot.
    You should check out bmgpx:

You can download the complete benchmark list for each county by visiting this website ( these are more accurate than GC.com, who hasn't updated their datasheets from the NGS database in some time):

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/datasheet.prl

You can go to this website, http://parkrrrr.com/ , and download bmgpx and convert the data files to GPX files. You can run the datasheets through BMGPX, then use the gpx file that's created in Watcher, GSAK or GPSBabel - and on your PDA type thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_LiquidCache
    I wonder if they also upgraded their servers so that the site doesn't bog down so much.....
    I haven't had any problems with their servers in months. They did an upgrade to the servers quite a while ago. They have a server farm now and can add new servers anytime they need. I forget all of the details but the complaints on the GC.com forums have all but disappeared. Every now and then there's a hickup but Sunday evenings and Mondays are no longer "no log zones".

sd