Thread: Challenges going away

Challenges going away

Here is a post made from Geocahing.com yesterday on their decision to retire the Challenges:

In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of geocaching.

Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas don’t catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.

In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.

This means that, effective today, we have disabled the ability to create new Challenges. We have also removed the Challenges application from all mobile application stores. In approximately 7 days, we will be removing all traces of the Challenges functionality and related content from Geocaching.com.

On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, “Let’s make better mistakes tomorrow.” By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure.
    In my opinion this was just their way to try and give us something to replace the Virtuals that most cachers wanted them to bring back. I feel like it was a very poor substitute. I know that a lot of cachers out there worked really hard at getting the challenges out there and I greatly appreciate their efforts.

Hopefully they have learned a few lessons on what we want and don't want and maybe their next idea will be something that helps make the game even more enjoyable.

Steal Your Cache Guest
    i like the virtuals and the earth caches. i believe the next cache type that could be added is a history cache. it would open up not just any virtual but it would allow for caches to be placed in areas like the capital, national forest, and others areas that wont let you place a container.

Quote Originally Posted by Goff-family View Post
    i like the virtuals and the earth caches. i believe the next cache type that could be added is a history cache. it would open up not just any virtual but it would allow for caches to be placed in areas like the capital, national forest, and others areas that wont let you place a container.
    I like this!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

I always thought that challenges and Waypoints sort of competed. In the process wondered why one would not get some "points" for either setting up waypoint categories or visiting those sites... Oh well...

DaTexanBoy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SJClimber View Post
    I always thought that challenges and Waypoints sort of competed.
    Exactly what I thought too. Me personally, I didn't like the challenges. I'd rather them just come back with the virtuals.

Mee, Too!!!

Hundreds of people requested virtuals come back and we ended up with challenges. It seems like sometime they intentionally don't want what we the geocachers want and request. I have hope they will return after this miserable virtual replacement they have now has been rescinded.

I did some of the challenges and some of them would have made good virtual caches. But I agreed overall it was a poor sub for the virtuals and it didn't surprise me that they did not go over very well.

I looked at some of the challenges and they did not excite me enough to get me to go do them.

Quote Originally Posted by paladinds1961 View Post
    I looked at some of the challenges and they did not excite me enough to get me to go do them.
    Which is exactly what happened to virtuals back in the day and caused them to go away. People were creating so many lame virtuals that nobody wanted to do them (or you could armchair them). The virtuals that still remain are mostly the cream of the crop that existed when they did away with virtuals to begin with. If there was some way that the quality could be ensured, I wouldn't mind seeing them again. But if it isn't ensured, we'll just end up with a bunch of lamp post type virtuals.