Thread: Logging etiquette for swag around the state?

T'nH Guest

Logging etiquette for swag around the state?

I'm sure I could find some heated debates on this at gc.com but I'm looking for insight from locals.

We've only been doing this a few weeks but I noticed a big difference in the logs posted for caches around Searcy compared to when we were in Springdale and Devil's Den this past weekend. And I'm not even going to touch the basic TFTC stuff on an awesome cameo (rolls eyes), but rather the topic of swag.

In Searcy it looks like barely a mention is made of swag trade, unless maybe for TBs. In the NW caches we logged or I at least researched ahead of time, people give detailed logs regarding what they took and gave. I sorta felt bad because although I made sure my kids made fair trades (and usually put in extra) I couldn't remember later what actually was taken/given. I usually make mention of a trade because the kids have fun with it, but I don't go into detail.

It just really caught my eye and was curious as to other's input.

So, what is with the dichotomy in the logs?

First, Welcome to caching and the forums. I would say that the thing we all have to remember is that everyone plays the game differently. Then I would say that you have to find the way to play that gives you the most satisfaction at the same time as trying to make it fun for the others involved. I have written and received all kinds of logs from the immensely detailed with descriptions of swag to the infamous TFTC. I even kept a paper log book or added notes to the app on my phone to help me remember the specifics about each cache we encountered. Finally I have settled on a nice happy medium for myself. I try to provide a little anecdote, if you will, for the cache owner to know the how and why of us finding the cache and the conditions if necessary. The main thing is to find what works for you.

T'nH Guest
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm comfortable with how I've been doing it and its been kind of interesting see all the different ways people play this game/sport. I mean, I could hardly see us dragging the kids along on a power trail, but could see how that could be fun under different life circumstances---speed is NOT in my kids vocabulary right now when it comes to finding a cache. LOL

It was just really odd to see the major difference with the predominance of logs between the two areas of the state---I wondered if I missed something.

Wow never thought much about the trades or what I left. I sometimes mention it in my logs if it is different or unique. However if its just run of the mills stuff I don't cover it. I try to let the co know how there cache is and if I liked it.

Steal Your Cache Guest
    i just got back from Houston and i saw way more TFTC's than ever before. but i also didn't agree with the rating they did on most caches but i always believe in you reap what you sew, so sew good and sew often.

i am not really great with words (lengthy logs) but i do try and put up a decent log. i will cut and paste for logs when i do a lot of caches in a day. i know that that can be frowned upon but i also carry a ton of supplies to fix or repair a cache. i believe that is my way of giving back. i try hard to pay it forward by being a cache doctor. i feel it takes all kinds to make the world go round and it is not fair to think everyone should do things the way you do. it is better to embrace everyone for there contribution in the form the contribute.

i totally agree with buckshot's comments also

just my 2 cents.

T'nH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goff-family View Post
    i feel it takes all kinds to make the world go round and it is not fair to think everyone should do things the way you do. it is better to embrace everyone for there contribution in the form the contribute.
    i totally agree with buckshot's comments also
    just my 2 cents.
    I can see the value in all approaches---at the time (completely new to this) I was just wondering if I was missing something or doing something wrong, nothing more.