Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a question / need help / need advice.

Question I have a question / need help / need advice.

Hi all,

I am in need of some assistance. I was contacted by one of the area science teachers (a muggle) who knows through my daughters about our geocaching adventures. She is constructing a scale replica of our solar system with marker posts and would like to incorporate geocaching into the idea some how. She called me to see about getting all of this done and "out there" (published).

After a short discussion on geocaching in general and the processes, she began describing the idea and the locations of the intended markers. The intent is to have a marker post with a box or some sort with information concerning the project as well as the educational information. She would also like for the marker to house the geocache. There are to be a total of 13 markers in all. All are within easy access of the major highway artery.

Here is the problem and where I am seeking assistance/help/advice or commentary. Some of the locations are either going to be too close to one another or are going to be too close to an existing cache. At least one of them being one that I own. None of the markers have been placed but they have been marked and permission to place them has been received.

I did explain that some of the locations were too close to meet the 0.1 mile requirement. The Sun, Mercury, Venus and Earth markers will be in a less than 500 ft. radius. I also went out to the marking stakes and ran a search for nearby caches and found that three of them are too close to existing caches.

I did explain the various types of caches such as traditional and multi caches as well as the various sizes. I also told her that I would help as best I could to come up with a solution and knew where to ask for help.

So, here I am, fellow cachers. Have any of you heard of anything similar to this or maybe have some suggestions that you think might help? One of the first things I thought of was the possibility of moving her markers but not sure how that will be received or how it might affect the project as a whole. The second idea I had was to do a multi cache versus 13 individual traditional caches, but I have not ventured into that arena of caching just yet. Also not sure of all the guidelines of that area either.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and commentary!
    Jesse (BsML)
    Last edited by Buckshot/MamaLlama; 07-05-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: syntax

If I am correct, stages of a multi can be within 525 feet of each other, but each stage has to still be more than 525 feet from any other geocache. So that might present a problem. You might contact Chuck Walla, and see if He has any ideas about what can be done to complete this project.

Where in the state is this occurring? It sounds really neat actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpdenton View Post
    Where in the state is this occurring? It sounds really neat actually.
    We are in Mountain Home in Baxter County.

Update: After talking with a buddy concerning the project I realized that I was thinking strictly in geocaching terms and had not learned what the concept would be for the general public. The original intent as I understand it was for the public at large with a geocaching theme added to it. As soon as I can get more information concerning the whole project I will add that to question at hand. Hopefully that will add to the possible outcomes.

Thanks
    Last edited by Buckshot/MamaLlama; 07-05-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

My thought exactly. If this is a community educational project, it can be placed independent of GC.com. She can place it where she wants and she will be the resource for the original coordinates and those of "offsets" if she desires, no?? This sounds like it could be a fascinating project and learning experience for her students. Sounds like fun...

Sometimes we forget that gc.com isn't the only listing service. Don't forget terracaching.com, opencaching.com, opencaching.org and navicache.com to name a few.
    Last edited by TnT; 07-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Steal Your Cache Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpdenton View Post
    If I am correct, stages of a multi can be within 525 feet of each other, but each stage has to still be more than 525 feet from any other geocache. So that might present a problem. You might contact Chuck Walla, and see if He has any ideas about what can be done to complete this project.
    from GC.com
    Virtual waypoints in puzzles and multi-caches, should be coded as "question to answer" or "reference point" -- in which case the virtual waypoints can be closer than 528 feet from another cache and do not block other physical placements.

you are able to place a cache close to a point on a multi cache but not a physical cache and the stages can be closer then 528 but the physical has to be 528 or more. also you can use waymaking.com

Quote Originally Posted by TnT View Post
    Sometimes we forget that gc.com isn't the only listing service. Don't forget terracaching.com, opencaching.com, opencaching.org and navicache.com to name a few.
    This was something that I did mention to her, but I am only familiar with gc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Goff-family View Post
    from GC.com
    Virtual waypoints in puzzles and multi-caches, should be coded as "question to answer" or "reference point" -- in which case the virtual waypoints can be closer than 528 feet from another cache and do not block other physical placements.

you are able to place a cache close to a point on a multi cache but not a physical cache and the stages can be closer then 528 but the physical has to be 528 or more. also you can use waymaking.com
    This is something I am looking into. Waiting to hear back from CW and the teacher. Will keep you all "posted".

I'm guessing the solar system is "to scale" here to fit the desired location area? Worst case scenario, I would increase the scale just a tiny bit and it may be enough to get you a bit farther away.

Regarding multi/offsets, if the intermediate stage has an actual physical container (e.g., a piece of paper inside a bison tube hanging in a cedar), it must be 528 feet from all other physical containers. If the information is not located inside a container, then there is no distance rule; for example, a sticker with numbers on it stuck on a sign, a tag hanging in a tree, a piece of metal screwed to a post.

Not sure if you really mean "to scale" or not, but if this were true, then if the sun were a basketball, Neptune would be 27 mm in diameter, located over 1.5 miles away. Remember that the planets only rarely line up in a rough line (according to NASA, on the order of millions of years), so you could scatter them out in all directions from the central sun location.

Thanks captaincooder! The great thing about all of this is that I don't have to find locations, get permissions and build the thing. All I have to do is somehow make it work within the caching guidelines.