Thread: Magellan GPSr, THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT PRODUCT

Steal Your Cache Guest

Magellan GPSr, THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT PRODUCT

Your product is only as good as you are able to stand behind it!
    I am a company owner and i believe that it is my job to do anything i can to make a customer happy, Well Magellan doesn't think the same way.

I bought my first Explorist 710 and had it 2 months when it got stolen out of my truck. heck i hadn't even figured the thing out yet. So i bought another one and was really starting to enjoy using it when the screen cracked. this made it to where i wasn't even able to use it. i wasn't to worried i have worked with companies on repairs before so i set out to their web site to get the process started. I Got in touch with them and it seemed as it was going to be an easy fix. they said they would call me back and i could get it fixed for $60. I thought that was reasonable. Well no call back! so i called them and this time i was told that i had to send my unit in and they would send me a refurbished unit for $320 when the new one was $380. that just doesn't make since. I know they would take my unit replace the screen for about $50 and then sell it to the next person. all this after i just went through the same process with my radar detector. Whistler took my unit in and sent me back a refurbished one for about $40 that included shipping and handling.

i would have suggested the Explorist 710 to anyone even with the frail screen if it could be replaced for a reasonable cost but that isn't the case.

OK now on to the next forum to post again!

That's a shame and actually surprises me quite a bit. We are the other side of the spectrum. We have an Explorist GC and have damaged two of them (Once not our fault, once it was) and both times Magellan has replaced the unit free of charge for us. Of course, that was over a year ago. Maybe their policies have changed.

I really hate to see the mindset of a company that doesn't care about the customer. As a fellow business owner, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck on your next purchase!

Steal Your Cache Guest
    what avenue did you use to get the repair done? was it under warranty?

I honestly don't remember about the second time. The first time, yes, it was under warranty. I submitted the request online and had a replacement unit in just a couple of weeks.

Steal Your Cache Guest
    below is a post where someone found my review helpful. it has become my personal goal to keep every person i can from being taken advantage of like i was!

DONT BUY A MEGELLAN!!!

goff-cacher, a customer just told us your review was helpful to them while shopping on Amazon.

Magellan eXplorist 710 Waterproof...

Magellan GPSr, THOUGHT I HAD A GREAT PRODUCT
    September 18, 2012
    Share your review

We have had several Garmin's, got a bad one once, called, and all I heard was, "give me your shipping address" they sent me a new one with a return label for the defective one, that has been the only experience I have had, but needless to say, we have all Garmins, but you can always get ahold of someone having a bad day and they won't help you with any company I guess.

Steal Your Cache Guest
    see!!!! sounds like good customer service!

BUY GARMIN!!!