Thread: Help with getting maps for Europe

DiamondMapleLeafs Guest

Help with getting maps for Europe

Hi I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. We are heading to northern Europe next week and are hoping to find some caches while we are there. I have a Garmin 62s to use, but normally I just use my iPhone app, and I am having a lot of trouble sorting out which maps to use and how to make a pocket query. Can anyone help me with finding out what maps to buy? We are going to Denmark, Sweden Finland Estonia and Russia. We won't be doing any hiking or anything, hoping to find some urban caches.

I saw that I can buy a cityexplorer SD card for 70 dollars. Will that work for geocaching purposes? Is it possible to load a few different pocket queries onto the GPS at once? I thought this would be more intuitive and now I'm almost out of time! The iPhone app is so easy, but it would cost a fortune to use the bandwith over there. Thanks for any guidanced you can give me.

donbadabon Guest
    Do you have an SD card in your 62s? If so, you can download free Garmin-compatible maps for your unit here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Here is a link for information on how to use the site:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/G...tMap.nl:Manual

Basically you just select the region you want, click the download link, and then when the next page comes up you can download the "osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip" and extract the IMG file that is in the zip onto your 62s SD card.

You can put as many maps as you need, depending on the size of your SD card.

Once you load them on your SD card, on your 62s go into your Setup / Map / Select Map, choose the maps you want turned on and select 'Enable. The maps will show up on your device and work perfectly.

DiamondMapleLeafs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donbadabon View Post
    Do you have an SD card in your 62s? If so, you can download free Garmin-compatible maps for your unit here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Here is a link for information on how to use the site:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/G...tMap.nl:Manual

Basically you just select the region you want, click the download link, and then when the next page comes up you can download the "osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip" and extract the IMG file that is in the zip onto your 62s SD card.

You can put as many maps as you need, depending on the size of your SD card.

Once you load them on your SD card, on your 62s go into your Setup / Map / Select Map, choose the maps you want turned on and select 'Enable. The maps will show up on your device and work perfectly.
    Donbadon thanks for your help. I dont have an SD card, but I will pick one up and see if I can get that to work. I really appreciate your response!

DiamondMapleLeafs Guest
    I'm sorry for being such a Luddite, but I have managed to create and unzip the map so it is an img file, I put the SD card in the GPS and now I can't figure out how to get the map onto the card. Where do I save it? I feel like a chump!

DiamondMapleLeafs Guest
    Okay so now I have managed to load my map onto my micro sd card, but now I can't figure out how to load up my pocket queries. Can i have multiple pocket queries loaded at once? Do I need to save the PQ's on the regular GPS or on the SD card? Does it matter? How come I can't see the geocaches?

donbadabon Guest
    Hi,

Yes, you can have multiple pocket queries (GPX files) loaded, up to a maximum of 200 GPX files.

Just plug in your GPS to your computer, and save your GPX files to the /Garmin/GPX directory on your GPS. You *can* use your SD card, but your unit has plenty of available space to load it directly on the unit. And it will be a little faster when you call them up on the screen.

That is it. The next time you turn it on, the GPS will combine all your GPS files together into one for you.

And the 62s can hold 5000 geocaches, so you should be able to load everything for your trip before you go.

Once you are loaded up, just hit the Find button, and then choose the Geocache icon. All of your geocaches should be in there.