Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to get supplies for caching!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paladinds1961 View Post
    I bought 35mm film cans for 0.43 from http://filmcanistersforsale.com/
    Wal-mart and Walgreens will usually give the used ones to you for free, if they have any on hand. All you have to do is go by the photo department and ask for them.

T'nH Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MathSeeker View Post
    Wal-mart and Walgreens will usually give the used ones to you for free, if they have any on hand. All you have to do is go by the photo department and ask for them.
    I went into our Walgreens and asked for some. She replied, "Sure, I used to save them for this young man who did . . . geocaching, but he's moved away." I chuckled and replied, "Well, keep saving them as that is one reason I'd like to have them." (science stuff for the boys is another) She then let me take as many as I liked.

Speaking of which---is there a reason we use the ones with the lid snapping on the outside, compared to on the inside? I wasn't sure if it's just due to the color or water-resistant issues----or we just haven't found enough to see them on the playing field.

Ahh yes there is a difference. The outside ones take on more water. The inside snap tends to be more water proof. However please keep in mind that they are all plastic and sunlight degrades plastic. Any plastic can placed where water can surround it will suffer from the water. I have seen some of the outside snaps placed up side down off the ground so that water will not run into the can. You could fill the sink or a pan with water and put enough weight inside to sink the can and see which takes on water. The best reason to use the inside snaps for me is that the lid stays on better.

supper_slash Guest
    I never thought of that, I'm going to my lilac wallgreens TODAY!
    thanks for the great tip.