The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Ron White aka ronwhite should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
ronwhite

How did you choose your handle?
Very original don’t you think!? Truthfully, when I first registered I didn’t know that most folks used nicknames, so ronwhite it was. Now, I unoffically use “Tater Salad, Too” just for the heck of it.

How long have you been geocaching?
Since January 2007

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

I used a Garmin Mapping 60CS in my deer woods to make sure our stands were at least 300 yards apart and I was looking on Garmin’s website for a map update and just happen to run across this thing called geocaching. So, I looked and found a couple of caches listed out near Lake Maumelle and took off to see what this was all about. My first find was “No Swimming” (GCTFQZ).

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
I do quite a bit alone, but my granddaughters go with me when they’re not playing softball, basketball, or volleyball. And of course, Mona the Muggler is quite often with me!!

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?

I’m really not too crazy about puzzle caches, but when I do mess with them I’ll usually stay on them until I finally get it.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
A couple of years ago, we went up to Pennsylvania on vacation and I really enjoyed all the virtual caches around Gettysburg and Lancaster County.

Do you do paperless caching?

If I’m making a trip, I’ll usually go paperless – but otherwise I still like that paper.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

I currently use a Garmin 60CSx and would love to get one of the new Garmin 62 receivers.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

It good clean fun that the whole family can get involved in and enjoy. Also, it gets you out of the house!

Where are you originally from?

Born and raised in Little Rock and was in the 1st graduating class out of Little Rock Parkview High School, then headed to Ouachita Baptist for my College life.

In what states have you geocached?

Have cached in 32 States. The ones I lack are the Far West Coast States and the New England States. Somehow I’ve missed Florida. Go figure!

What was your first event ever attended?

Like Mathseeker, it was GC19QBP WWFM III – Big Dam Bridge – Central Arkansas by ar_kayaker

How many caches have you found?

I’m currently sitting at 3,477

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
I still love Virtuals – they are usually tied to some type of history, which I love. After that, I’d say baby soda bottles!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

Don’t guess I’ve really found any “famous” caches, but really enjoyed Boge’s Alcove - GCDED – in North Central Arkansas which was hidden on 6/28/2001.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Both, but use more disposable than I use rechargeable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

Enjoy both, but I love the challenge of finding them more!

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
A lot of my hides are history related, but in the summer I started a series of TSC “Those Stinking Chiggers” caches that are for everyone that hates getting eat up by chiggers in the summertime.

What is you favorite type of cache hide?
All of them, but very fond of Virtuals. Wish they would REALLY bring them back!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
The little series I have out on Walnut Grove Road, where I live. There is a lot of family history to them and a few other facts about the area.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?

Don’t really know if there is one – totally up to the individual cacher.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
As I said earlier, it was by accident when I was looking for map updates on the Garmin Website.

What's your favorite geocache?

Flight to Freedom – GC409D – which was a virtual cache in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania that was an underground railroad house used in the 1800’s. After I finished this virtual and got back in the car, an Amish man came out of nowhere and knocked on my window. So I rolled it down and we began to talk and he could tell I was very interested in their lifestyle and he invited me down to his house, where I met his wife (kids were in school) and then they showed me around their home, barns, corn fields, and their farm equipment. All I can say is, that in itself was worth the trip to Pennsylvania.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

Israel and Australia

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
I mainly cache by myself, but also enjoy group caching

How many First to Finds do you have?
Currently I have 112

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
At one time, I went for all I could, but in the last year or so I’ve cut back considerably to let the newer cachers have the joy of getting that FTF. However, if one is right around the corner from me when it’s released I still have to go for it. I think my notification setting is at 25 miles.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

Oh yes – hunting and fishing, but I usually combine a little caching in with both of those!