Thread: ANY AND ALL GSAK USERS or WAN TO BE GSAK USERS

Steal Your Cache Guest

ANY AND ALL GSAK USERS or WAN TO BE GSAK USERS

if you use, or want to use GSAK please read on.

I have no clue what i am doing with GSAK and I only use it for a couple of things and I think it could make mine and your Geocaching experience better if we only understood how to use it. So if you know how to do something in GSAK and are willing to share that with others please let me know. We just need about 5 or 10 people to spend a few minutes on a laptop projected on to a screen and show us all how you do something cool.

Help us make our GSAK round table a good experience.

Thanks for the help!

Hey friend,
    If you go to the GSAK forum (http://www.gsak.net/board/), there are basic "topics" and a presentation library with many helpful topics on use of the program. I'd help if in the state, but if you have questions, please email.
    SJC..

I hope you find someone to present, because I want to learn.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

I use GSAK and I will be glad to share what little I know about it.

Saint Aubie Guest
    I use it, but not very well at all. It took me forever to plod through setting up the stat macros. That's pretty much as far as I've taken it. Great idea to hold a class!

Steal Your Cache Guest
    just remember this is a cumulative effort. if each one has a little to offer it will be a success.

AND mathseeker is a teacher double bonus!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

drmo913 Guest
    I would love to see an event---or even a portion of an event to be held for this. I've struggled with learning how to use the program, but I can definitely see it's value.

Saint Aubie Guest
    That's a great idea! We should have a GSAK training class as an event. We could probably do around 3 hours of training, maybe even followed up with some caching. I found several PPT presentations and even a few sites with instructional videos. If we could get a location that had WiFi (like, say, a public library) and tables, folks could bring their laptops and do some "hands-on" activities.

This forum topic has links to a lot of information, if folks want to look at what is out there. It may give you some ideas for what to talk about at the cache bash as well.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=266186

I like Saint Aubie's Idea like at a library on college campus or something? One thing I like playing around with, and I'm not sure how many of you have tried or played with or even knew about this feature, is the ability to use a gps, I prefer an old one your not using like a original etrex or similar, or a $20 dollar usb gps for laptop form ebay, and be able to have gsak automatically re-categorize your caches based on closest caches to your current location. If your comfortable taking your laptop on your road trips, it is a huge wealth of information, especially if you pair it with a mapping program like open map. One can get old laptops pretty cheap to almost nothing because a hard drive has failed and that is how we wound up using it every now and then.

I would be curious if anyone has a android tablet to try out the below and see how well it works while out mucking around. I want the ability to have a 7-10 inch screen for navigation in the car and for easy data reading while we are on our way to our destination. I keep hoping gsak will come out with their own android/iphone/ipad app that plays nicely with your stored database or an easy way to sync between the two systems.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fnxDroid&hl=en

Just searching the macro's available are pretty fun...who knew there were so many to choose from! If you want a fun one get the FindStatGenerator it goes way above and beyond what the groundspeak stats should show!