View Poll Results: Would you like to see an Arkansas Geocacher Awards event?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 79.17%
  • No

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest in a possible event. Please vote!

dcwalker30 Guest

Gauging interest in a possible event. Please vote!

I'm gauging interest in a possible event. Saint Aubie and I were discussing the idea of hosting an Arkansas Geocacher Awards event. There would be a nomination period and a voting period for categories like "Best Camo", "Best Puzzle" and "Best Log". Arkansas cachers would select the winners through a private voting process and the winners would be recognized at a potentially annual event. Let me know if we should continue our planning by voting Yay or Nay. Thanks for your time!

I think this is an awesome idea!
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

I think it is a pretty neat idea,

I think any time all Ark. cachers can get togther is great

I think this could be done in conjunction with the "Annual Meeting" event. I think the hard part would be working out the rules and details. ArkGeo members only eligible?? I think only ArkGeo members should be allowed to vote. I think that the voting system used to hold the elections could be used to allow ArkGeo members to vote on the different categories.

dcwalker30 Guest
    If ArkGeo wants to sponsor the event and pay for all the trophies/trackables, then I'd be more than willing to make it Members Only voting! However, I'd like to make it as inclusive as possible and not rule anyone out from the voting process just because they haven't placed membership on the boards. So far, there's been a very SMALL response to this poll. The poll is meant to be a test to see what kind of response we could expect for the voting. Right now that's looking very dim. 7 total votes here and 7 on the Facebook page (possible duplicates). With ~10 voters, that wouldn't be much of an awards ceremony. I'd love to make this event happen, but I'd need to be sure that we could get a large enough nomination and voting turnout to make it worth it. If we started voting today. Someone could win with 2 votes, and that's no fun!

dcwalker30 Guest
    Oh, but I like the idea of doing it in conjunction with a larger event. That could solve a lot of the "when and where" questions I have, as well as making sure there's plenty of people there to recognize the accomplishments of their fellow cachers.

As a Board member the problem I have with it is what happens if you miss someone's accomplishment and they start talking and wondering why they didn't get an award. Pretty sure due to this one problem the Board would probably shy away from taking this on. That's just me speaking up, I might be surprised - but don't think so. Probably be better off keeping this outside of ArkGeo.

There should be a nomination round where we send in our favorites. Then narrow it down to the top few: More than one nomination or just use some sort of grading system. How many favorite points does it have etc. Maybe use a panel of judges to narrow it down.

The actual voting could be at the event, there would be more people vote that way. Not many vote on here for anything.