Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Paperless caching

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: Got the GPSr, Palm Pilot and Home PC synched , but

Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Now that the initial euphoria of this transition is subsiding, I wonder about the most productive types of pocket queries and how to organize them on the pda.
    Tips and hints for this "newbie" will be gratefully accepted.
    I currently have the caches on my PDA listed by nearest to my home coordinates. Is there a better way to list them ?
    You guys have been so helpful in geting me off to a good "paperless" start !
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

There are probably many different ways to do each step and I'm sure everyone has their own reason for doing it their way. But this is how we do it.

Our most often used pocket query is for the 500 caches, that we have not found, closest to Clarksville. We get some in Oklahoma and some in Missouri.

We get this query about three times a week.

When needed we then save that zipped file to a folder on our desktop named "Ark Not Found".

We then open the .gpx file using GSAK.

First we export the entire file to a Garmin Mapsource file and study where there are a group of caches we might want to seek and stay familiar with caches in our area that we might not be aware of.

We make use of GSAK's great capabilities by generating the caches with waypoint names that are the GC number less the GC. ( this comes in really handy when logging multiple cache finds.)

We also add a"+" if the cache is supposed to contain a Travel bug. Lastly we get a final discriptor to tell what type of cache it is without looking at the PDA. (BTW a Palm IIIxe)

This would make a waypoint possibly appear as M51T T. If there were a travel bug assigned to this cache it would read M51T+T. The final T signifies a traditional cache. M=multi V=virtual Y=mystery etc.

When logging I read nonni's note and just add GC to M51T to go to the cache page. Then the next cache can be reached bu entering the GC number at the bottom of the logging page.

After we have satisfied ourselves with the map we d/l the waypoints to the Garmin 60 CS from MapSource.

Then we export to Cachemate using the same waypoint scheme. So as we are caching I can look at the gpsr screem and say to nonni that the next cache is M51T. She reads the info out loud from the PDA. And off we go.

After you feel comfortable with GSAK try some of those special tags and see if you can make it better. If you desire send me an email and I will send a screen shot of the GSAK settings that work for me....poppy

TeamMGGPS Guest
    I used CacheMate and put the query into the PDA and I used EasyGPS to download the gpx file to my Magellan. Is there anyway to create a WPT file for use with Magellan Mapsend TOPO?

TeamMGGPS Guest
    I should have tried this first before I posted the last message but after I uploaded from EasyGPS to my Magellan I then downloaded from my Magellan to Mapsend TOPO. I was also able to convert the gpx file to a wpt file using GPSbabel.

mountainborn Guest

PAPERLESS VIDEO

Here is a link to a free video on paperless caching with a PDA, step by step. This one uses plucker.
    http://www.archive.org/details/geovideoep02
    The author is in Canada and shows some Canadian caching through out the video .
    I downloaded the windows media version which was about 44 MB. The speed was pretty good, it took about 4 minutes.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMGGPS
    I used CacheMate and put the query into the PDA and I used EasyGPS to download the gpx file to my Magellan. Is there anyway to create a WPT file for use with Magellan Mapsend TOPO?
    A great program that allows you to filter, export or manipulate a .gpx file is called Geocaching Swiss Army Knife or GSAK for short. It will unzip the pocket query file bypassing Winzip. In fact it will even check your email and run a macro exporting whatever files you choose.

It will allow you to filter on a gazillion types of criteria.

It will export to 16 plus different programs and allows custom exports.

It is free or you can pay a small amout to rid yourself of the nag screen.

It is an amazing tool. I wish some of you guys could figure it all out and give me lessons. ....poppy