Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Congrats on 300 and FINALLY going paperless.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Congratulations Geoark1 on your 300th find! Way to go guys.

Congrats on on 300! Keep on cachin'!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

mountainborn Guest

I just couldn't stand it anymore !

After reading all the coments on paperless, and talking to Jerry of Jerry, Bonnie & Abby. Butcherknife and I have bought a palm IIIxe with folding keyboard, OS 4.1 CD, USB adater and cases, ect..
    SOOoooo, what's the next move ? I guess I need to get the software from the internet ?
    Geeze, now I'm worried that I have bit off more than I can chew !

Re: I just couldn't stand it anymore !

Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    After reading all the coments on paperless, and talking to Jerry of Jerry, Bonnie & Abby. Butcherknife and I have bought a palm IIIxe with folding keyboard, OS 4.1 CD, USB adater and cases, ect..
    SOOoooo, what's the next move ? I guess I need to get the software from the internet ?
    I'm not a Palm user, and I hope that someone else chimes in on your question, but I'll tell you what I know...

I assume you have a premium membership at geocaching.com, so first you'll need to create a Pocket Query (GPX file) for the area you want. You'll also need some software on your Palm (CacheMate is very popular.) When you get your GPX file from GC.com, just copy it over to your Palm and open it with CacheMate.

Of course there are more detailed steps involved, but this is the general procedure. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a better description of the specifics....

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I'm not a palm user either so I'm no help either. But the first few steps that Gaddiel said was pretty correct.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

mountainborn Guest
    Thanks, I will get some of those steps taken to get ready for the palm to arrive.

nonnipoppy Guest
    At some point in the not to distant future you will be really glad that you chose to go paperless. We sure glad we did.

We do use a Palm and highly recommend Cachemate on the Palm, it is great. On the PC we recommend Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to open the .gpx files and to export the cache info to the other programs.

After you get the palm I will be glad to assist you in any way......poppy

BACKPACKNJACK Guest

Re: I just couldn't stand it anymore !

It may seem like a daunting task at first (I thought I would have to put hot-dogs on the grill and invite everyone over [] ) but GSAK and the “Sync” program that should come with your Pocket PC (PPC) will do most of the work.

Maybe my brain is just tired (you’ve even got to program your watch and TV nowadays) but to me if it is simple, like hunting for parallel sticks in the woods [] or a drag&drop program on your desktop that will load cords to your GPS and cache pages w/logs to your PPC, it is a winner in my book.

Your mileage may vary considerably and these views are not intended to represent those of less tired brains nor those among us with IQs that look like an Arkansas area code []

nonnipoppy Guest
    Thanks, I will get some of those steps taken to get ready for the palm to arrive.

The one thing that I forgot to mention was becoming a premium member at Geocaching.com. That is a requirement to get the .gpx files (or pocket queries).

Considering the total investment in GSAK, Cachemate, and Gc.com to be around $50 with $30 reoccurring each year it is FAAAARRRRR less expensive than ink-jet cartridges for the printers I use.

I decided that paperless was the bee's knees after burning through a $40 cartridge in about 10 days printing cache pages. (yes I know that it does not require all that printing but nonni LOVES to read every past log in existence before looking for a cache).