Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

BooCrew Guest
    Hey all! Well, I got the Palm III in on Tuesday........ it DOES NOT work. The guy neglected to say it was hung on the tap target screen and that the "included setup CD" was broken. Guess it's a good thing the Axim came in on Monday.

I've gotten GSAK and gpssonar downloaded and have some pocket queries too. I am delighted that it only took me minutes to gather all that info. Took hours to print out before. Now, I just gotta figure out how to sort these things!

I really like the Axim and got a good deal on it and a warranty . Although, I was panicked when I'd downloaded all these GPS programs and the thing locked up. Course, if you don't accidentally push the lock button when inserting it in the Rhino case, it works really well.

Wish me luck on figuring out these programs.

nonnipoppy Guest
    If I had that Palm that was hung I would remove the batteries first. Then I would unscrew the stylus and find a small plastic pin that is inside. Them push that pin into the hole in the back of the palm for a total reset.

Next I would reinstall the batteries and see if it works. I have heard of it sometimes taking two attempts to get it to reset. If it dosent work then I would chunk it.....poppy

Quote Originally Posted by BooCrew
    I really like the Axim and got a good deal on it and a warranty .
    Wish me luck on figuring out these programs.
    BooCrew, we have and Axim, too. If you need help with anything, I'd be glad to share what I know...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

rock_hound Guest
    and that the "included setup CD" was broken
    You don't need the setup CD. You can download the lastest Hotsync software from Palm for free. I hope Poppy's reset procedure works for you.

BooCrew Guest
    Poppi,

Yep, I tried that reset thing more than twice. I even went so far as to read the instructions! Then I emailed the guy and he said yeah, it was stuck on that screen but it was just a software problem. Anyway, long story short, after several hours downloading (don't you love dial up) and installing a new palm desktop....... it still wouldn't do anything. So, I give.

Besides, you know that Axim I mentioned was way cool and was working right out of the box and I can do tons of stuff with it and there's lots more on there I don't even know what to do with. Like bluetooth stuff... I probably won't ever use that since I don't really know what it is. Except that I had read something about a GPS and bluetooth so I thought I might need it someday for something.

And Gaddiel, you've probably already said in a previous post but what do you use for cacheing software? I'm using the GPXSonar but I'm not sure how to get it to just show me the cahces that are nearby. Is there an easier way?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BooCrew
    And Gaddiel, you've probably already said in a previous post but what do you use for cacheing software? I'm using the GPXSonar but I'm not sure how to get it to just show me the cahces that are nearby. Is there an easier way?
    GPXSonar is what I use. To show nearby caches, I just pick a cache in the area, then click and hold the stylus down. You will get a menu and one of the options is to "Set as Center". When you choose this, it will resort the list and show you all the nearest caches. There may be an easier way, but this is how I do it...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

BooCrew Guest
    Gaddiel.... Thanks, I was messing around with it last night and figured that out. I kept trying to use that list menu at the bottom and set center coord by that and it wasn't working out. Then I accidentally held the stylus down to long and voila! I keep forgettting about that tap and hold feature.

Thanks alot everyone.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I tried to use GPXSonar on my new iPAQ but it wouldn't install, I just kept getting a message that it wasn't a "Valid Pocket PC Application" so I used GSAK on my desktop to export the cache pages as HTML to a folder for my SD card then the Sync program auto-loads them to the PPC.
    I can still sort them by Waypoint Code, Name, Found Date, Unfound, Nearest (at the bottom of the page), etc. using IExplorer.
    It's just tap on explorer, tap the folder, tap how I want them sorted.
    Plus, after I have done that once, IExplorer will just auto-open where I left it the last time I used it so I don't have to tap on anything else unless I want to go back to the main index and resort.
    How is this for easy [on] [start] [IE]?

Geoark1 Guest

We we did it

The conversation went something like this ;;;;;;; ok you ready, yes you I think so :::k lets go ...out the door in the car look around and no piles and piles of PAPER yes we finally had enough faith in our new system after weeks and weeks of fine tuning we WENT PAPERLESS.

Satisfied my anal tendencies and Mrs Geoark tendencies for records any way we had allot of fun and went over the 300 mark.

Yes Saturday was a good DAY

cachecrazies Guest
    Congratulations Geoark1 on your 300th find!

"It had to be a great day", is right! And what a whole lot of fantastic experiences along the way!

Bob and Linda