Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

walkingshadow Guest
    Yeah first day of paperless caching. Went well. I played with it for awhile and got it figured out. I learned a lot about my pda in the process

I was wondering how do you get maps on your pda? That is one thing I missed. Do I need a map program for my pda?

rita

BooCrew Guest
    LE and Dude, your generosity is amazing. I will contact you post haste when needed. But....... I'm getting kinda PO'd. I have heard nothing from the guy that was auctioning off the PDA. I won it and paid for it on Friday. I've inquired twice about when he plans on shipping it so I can leave a note for UPS. He hasn't responded. I'd cancel this and bite the bullet and just buy a new Dell Axim with my high interest credit acct if I could. I hate being ignored especially when I've paid promptly.

ARparkguy I tried to download the list and all I could get get it to do is bring up a TXT file. Where can I download it.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    ARparkguy I tried to download the list and all I could get get it to do is bring up a TXT file. Where can I download it.
    There is an application called bmgpx that will convert the benchmark database files to gpx files. You can get it here: http://parkrrrr.com/
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I can not get that bmgpx to work it.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I can not get that bmgpx to work it.
    In order to get benchmarks into a GPX file, you need a .dat file to start with. First go to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_county.prl and click on "Archived Datasheets", then click on "Yearly_Archives". Highlight "Arkansas" and click "Get County Archives". Choose the county you want and and whether you want it zipped or not, then click "Download File". You will get a .dat file that you can now use with BMGPX.

Make a new directory on your computer and put both the BMGPX.exe and the county .dat file in there. Go to a DOS Command Prompt (yeah, I know, YEECH!) and navigate to that directory. Now type:

bmgpx xxxxx.dat yyyyy.gpx

xxxxx.dat is the name of the .dat file that you just downloaded and yyyyy.gpx is the name that you want to give the GPX file. Hit ENTER and VIOLA!!! you have a GPX file containing that county's benchmarks that you can use in Watcher, GPXSonar, Cachemate, etc...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Well, for the last few days it has been more or less like getting a root-canal with a chainsaw and pickaxe and I’ve been to every BB I could find to get it done but >insert long drum roll and a big Woooo Hooooo here<
    I too am paperless now.[]
    I never really go after so many caches that I can’t keep all the info in my head and I only print cache pages for those I take caching so they can see all the info I have seen about the caches we are after, so the paper wasn’t really a problem, just a good excuse to buy another toy and I get to blame/credit you guys.
    Ain’t life just a whole lot of fun?
    PS, Some day I may even use the Wi-Fi switch but I’ve got a feeling that is going to be a looooong story so I will need a big excuse and I will need some volunteers for the blame.[]

thenaturenurd Guest

bmgpx

Stickerdude if you are still having problems I will write a out a full tutorial ASAP and post it on here for anyone else that may be wondering and cant fiqure it out. Its pretty simple just took me a little while to tinker with it. Quite handy carrying around counties worth of benchmark data and cache data in the PALM of your hand and no paper/ink costs. NICE!!!!

Anyways. Look for my tutorial soon...

Craig.

rock_hound Guest
    Good Idea arparkguy. You could post it to the downloads section (so does not get lost in the forum). I have been thinking about writing something similar for Cachemate. My Dad is new to geocaching and is having trouble using Cachemate.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_hound
    Good Idea arparkguy. You could post it to the downloads section (so does not get lost in the forum). I have been thinking about writing something similar for Cachemate. My Dad is new to geocaching and is having trouble using Cachemate.
    Things like this (and many more) are what I’ve been talking about when suggesting a “Geocaching Help Station” be added to this site so the very knowledgeable people here are more likely to see the questions so are more able to help. People are now finding this site even before they are finding GC and have lots of questions.
    There is a world of great info buried/lost on the pages of this and other forums and lots more that will be lost if it doesn‘t have a home. Or maybe some question/subjects could just be suggested for pinning to the top (Benchmarking, start here. Etc.) like in other forums.
    I just think this would be an easy way for those with knowledge to find and help those with questions. Of course your mileage may vary and I completely respect that.
    Title= [GEOCACHING HELP STATION]
    Sub:
    USING GPSs & PROGRAMS
    USING PDAs & PROGRAMS
    USING WiFi
    USING MAPS
    WHERE CAN I PLACE CACHES IN ARKANSAS
    I think the above list is a must but maybe some other subjects would help.
    IS THAT THING POISONOUS? (I added that one for Lady_E)