Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

Check is in the mail.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

walkingshadow Guest
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am totally lost. I have download gsak and cachemate and I don't know what to do. I got a list of caches from easy gps to go over to the pda but It is very limited in info. I also can't find where to put my # into cachemate..... boy I am showing my ignorance..... but I have been playing and reading. I am getting frustrated....

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by walkingshadow
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am totally lost ....... boy I am showing my ignorance..... but I have been playing and reading. I am getting frustrated....
    Mine is in the hands of UPS so I soon may be singing this same sad song. I suppose Life was just going waaay toooo well so something had to give.
    PS. It has so many features I don't need yet, that maybe by the time I get it figured out there will still be something on it that is not yet obsolete.

thenaturenurd Guest

my first try at paperless caching

Ok I broke out my Handspring Visor Pro before my recent trip to Texas and finally got it to work with my computer. I made a query of where I was going in Texas and used GPS Spinner to spin it into a format I could then upload to my PDA. I had already been using a channel type program called avantgo to get content for my PDA. I just made a personal channel and linked the the spun info to a personal channel and presto...instant portable cache info! Worked pretty well. Only two problems I had.

1. I do not have a gps capable of uploading directly from the PDA

2. When I spun the info not all the caches showed up I still had to print a few out I knew I would look for around my parents house in Texas. Anyone know why that is happening?

All in in all its much easier than printing and then trying to manage sheets and sheets of cache info. A few tweaks and I think I will be an exclusive paperless cacher. Paper and printer ink isnt cheep and this is much better for the environment.

Thats all I have to say about that...

Craig

BooCrew Guest
    OK........... I hit ebay the other day and got a cheap Palm III cause I knew they worked for LE. When it gets here, I may be needling you for help LE to get mine up and running.

We did a little Clarksville caching today and I have papers all over the car. It would be so nice to get it all on a PDA. I do wish I could afford a color one for maps. I don't know how many miles we drove out of the way by backtracking today. Oh well, we had a good time anyway.

thenaturenurd Guest

Cachemate

At last I found something that works pretty easily for my Palm.

I have been experimenting with a variety of programs and finally found one that I like.

Its called Cachemate and it is quite easy to use. So far I have only used to to put benchmarks on my PDA but Im sure it will be just as easy for geocaches. I am carrying all of the benchmark information for Madison, Washington, Carroll, and Benton counties in my PDA. Pretty neat. I will give a full report when I am have more time and not so tired. For now check out the link here

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

It does a cost a little bit to get the full version...8 bucks but so far i think its well worth it.

More later...

Craig

How much info on the bm do you get. I've been looking for some way to get all the info for BM's but can't find out how to get it downloaded.

LadyEngineer Guest
    BooCrew,

Call me when it comes in. I would be glad to walk you through. It was so very simple that it actually scares me.

LE
    5018439642 (home)
    5015802880 (cell)

Scarying LE is pretty easy. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Boo we can meet for lunch and I can help also.

Call me
    479-461-9295

thenaturenurd Guest

Benchmarks and Cachemate

Stickerdude...

You can get the entire datasheet and put it on your PDA fairly easily. Also once you locate say a Triangulation Station...you can move it to your "found" list which allows for logging date, time, and notes of the find.

You can also put in a waypoint say of where you are standing/driving at the time and the program will show the nearest points to you. Pretty snazzy little program and well worth the 8 bones you give for the full version.

You should check it out.

Unfortunately if you have a Pocket PC...cachemate will not run on it. But their is a similar program called GPXSonar you can use.

I was considering getting rid of my old PDA but turns out its pretty useful afterall. Im sure I will upgrade to a different model someday but my ole Handspring Visor Pro more than does the trick for now.

If anyone needs help using cachemate I will be glad to offer what I know.

Craig