Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Paperless caching

I'm pretty sure that you will need to get your Pocket Query in GPX format instead of LOC format. At least, that's how my application works... You can choose this option at the time you create your pocket query.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

thenaturenurd Guest

gpx format

Mountainborn,

you need your cache files in gpx format for cachemate to read them. Once I get off work I will write out a document that tells exaclty what I do to get my caches on there. Hang tight.

Craig

mountainborn Guest

Thank You

Thanks you guys !
    I have ran the pocket query and selected GPX, but it still gives me .loc !
    It has to be something small and silly that I am overlooking.
    It is starting to make me crazy !!

thenaturenurd Guest

how to use your palm device with cachemate to geocache

I may be leaving out a step or two and if I am please let me know and I will correct it. I will also place this in the download section of the website for future reference...

How to use your Palm Device with Cachemate to geocache. Paperless rules!

Craig L. Johnson (arparkguy)

Disclaimer: There are a number of programs and ways to get your caches onto your Palm Device from Geocaching.com. This is the best one that works for me. I will take you through what I do best I can. I use cachemate with my palm device and it works good for me.

1. You must be a premium member on Geocaching to do this. Sign into your account on Geocaching.com. Goto pocket queries section and put in the criteria you want. I usually have the query generator put the files into a .zip format. Once the pocket query runs you will get .zip file in your email which contains the .gpx file. Download this document from your email and place it somewhere you can easily find it such as your desktop.

2. Once you have your query file you must convert the .gpx files to a format cachemate can read. You do this buy opening up file convert folder which should be inside the cachemate folder. Click on the icon with the globe on it and it opens up a window. Click the button that says “load file” and find the .gpx file you downloaded to your desktop or wherever. Once that file loads you should see a list of all caches in your query.

3. Click on the button that says “select all.”

4. Click on the button that says “convert” this will convert the query list to the cachemate format. You should be able to choose what features you want to include in the conversion at this point such as travel bugs etc. It will ask you at this point what name want to save it as. For simplicity sakes we will choose “hometown caches” for this example. Once files are converted you will get a message that files are ready to be transferred to your device the next time you sync it.

5. Sync your device. Once you have synced it and you open cachemate it will ask where you want to place the files. Choose the location you want such as “geocaches.”

6. That’s all! Once you open up cache mate and view either all files or geocaches (or whatever category you put them in) you should have all the info you need to cache.

7. You can also do this use cachemate to put benchmarks on your device. Its not very hard but it takes more steps so I will save that for another time.

If anyone needs to modify this page please feel free to or let me know and I will. Thanks! Craig

mountainborn Guest

Thanks Craig !

Got it ! Of course, I was over looking the simplest of steps in my rush to get the data to my palm.
    I printed out your response then went slow, step by step.
    I set it to upload at the next hot Sync, then sync'ed the cachemate data.
    Now if I can just find the logs on the palm so I can view them !
    I set the query to find the nearest 400 caches to my home zip code, within 100 miles, and the zip file had 370 in it when it arrived.
    Is this ever so cool, er' what ! ! ! !! ! !
    You guys ROCK !!

mountainborn Guest

Got the GPSr, Palm Pilot and Home PC synched , but .

Now that the initial euphoria of this transition is subsiding, I wonder about the most productive types of pocket queries and how to organize them on the pda.
    Tips and hints for this "newbie" will be gratefully accepted.
    I currently have the caches on my PDA listed by nearest to my home coordinates. Is there a better way to list them ?
    You guys have been so helpful in geting me off to a good "paperless" start !
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

thenaturenurd Guest

pocket queries

You can list them in a variety of ways just experiment with the settings. There are a multitude of settings you can put in there. Im sure a few times and you will get it just how you like it.

TeamMGGPS Guest
    When the caches have been sent to the PDA do they include all the logs?
    There have been more than a few times when referring to a someones log has helped in the find.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMGGPS
    When the caches have been sent to the PDA do they include all the logs?
    Good question. The caches in the GPX file only contain the last five logs, plus any logs that you have written.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

TeamMGGPS Guest
    Well I went ahead and took the plunge. I've been a Basic Member since June 2001 and just upgraded to a Premium Membership. I thought it was about time I got on board. I'll try the paperless thing with my Palm Pilot as soon as I get everything going.