Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first plundered cache

RuffRidr Guest

My first plundered cache

I'm sad today because I just found out that one of my caches has been plundered. The cache was Get Well Soon Cardinal. I think since the cache was plundered, that I will just archive it, instead of replacing it. It would probably just go missing again.

This was the first cache that I have lost.

--RuffRidr

I sympathize with you. I know how bad it feels. I had one of my caches plundered before it could be found the first time. The bad thing was, it wasn't really a multi, but to find this one you had to get clues from six other ones. I had to relocate it and that meant changing the clues in the others. Really a lot of work, but I am so glad that I followed through and replaced it. From their log entries, others seemed to have enjoyed it. I suppose that this is always going to be a possibility, but I can only hope that as geocaching receives more and more publicity, at least some of the accidental finders will either join the fun or simply leave it as they found it. Good luck on future hides.

LadyEngineer Guest

So sorry to hear it man. Must admit, anytime I think about putting one out I get all knotted with "What if someone takes it?". Keep a chin up.

I feel your pain. Although we've lost several micros, we have yet to lose a full-sized cache (knocking on wood as we speak), but I know that it's bound to happen some day. I don't really hold any sentimental value for the cache (other than maybe the logbook), but it's still kinda hard to swallow when you spend $4-$7 on an ammo box and usually much more than that on the contents. If you have five caches, that's at least $100, which is not exactly chump change for us. I'd say that many people spend even more.

However, we try to always place our caches with the mindset that we may never see it again, even with regard to the money that we spent to stock it. It's really kinda like donating it to the geo-community. We consider this just a part of our budgeted expense for hobby/sport/game that we LOVE! Cheer up, my friend! The joy we get from placing caches and reading logs is worth the occasional loss we might have. Agreed?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

cachecrazies Guest
    We sympathize with you also! We've lost 3 caches out of the same city park - we've now placed our last and final one at that park because it's obvious that the kids destroy them.

Our first one had an emotional attachment - we set it out specifically so a little friend of ours with leukemia could walk far enough to find an easy cache. She found it and was thrilled - but it was destroyed within a few months afterwards.

The second one was special because it was the State's "Happy" cache and we worked long and hard on special camo for it - gone in a few months.

The third was a simple micro - when it disappeared it was "So what else is new?".

This last one is hopefully something the kids won't look for! If it disappears we chalk up the area and keep hiding them somewhere else.

Frustrating to lose one - but heartwarming to see one that lasts for months and months! Keep hiding!

I've lost a couple here to a local radio station doing a treasure hunt for a gold trinket. There are SOOOOOOO many people out looking for the gold trinket they plunder what ever they find. So next year when the KISR Treasure Hunt comes around I'll be collecting the caches around here so they do not come up missing. The Radio station also had a link to geocaching.com on their webpage. If you find the trinket which is the size of a tic tac you win a new car or truck. Here is the link to the Treasure Hunt KISR Treasure Hunt
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Re: My first plundered cache

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRidr
    I'm sad today because I just found out that one of my caches has been plundered. The cache was Get Well Soon Cardinal. I think since the cache was plundered, that I will just archive it, instead of replacing it. It would probably just go missing again.

This was the first cache that I have lost.

--RuffRidr
    Ruffridr I'm sorry to here about it did Cardinal get to get the stuff for him out before it was plundered?

GEO Guest
    Sorry to hear about the CACHE Muggled,I have had at least 10 taken but keep putting them back harder to find,it works.
    That is on the ones the real Critters in the woods got,I put in ammo box's for that,Amazing it works.
    Do not give up,I know how that 1st one feels I was pi**ed off but learned to get over it about the 4th one.

Why did they put the link to geocaching,this looks like it would attract the wrong attention to caches,in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    I've lost a couple here to a local radio station doing a treasure hunt for a gold trinket. There are SOOOOOOO many people out looking for the gold trinket they plunder what ever they find. So next year when the KISR Treasure Hunt comes around I'll be collecting the caches around here so they do not come up missing. The Radio station also had a link to geocaching.com on their webpage. If you find the trinket which is the size of a tic tac you win a new car or truck. Here is the link to the Treasure Hunt KISR Treasure Hunt

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I am doubly sad that this cache turned up missing. Sad for your loss and sad that I had not expressed my feelings to Cardinal. It's a 2 hour plus drive and I was looking for a convenient time to come up there and make an entry. I had envisioned that possibly some day the log book would be presented to Cardinal and wanted to have an entry in it. But alas, it's gone now.

I'll just have to express myself here. Cardinal, I send you best wishes in your continuing recovery. I hope it goes well.

Numbers 6:
    24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
    25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
    26 The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Too let people know if they found somrthing out there with the GC name on it too leave it alone. Well it did not work. I had someone from the Northwest Arkansas Times paper email yesterday and want to do a story on Geocaching. I told him about the CITO in sallisaw but he really wants to keep it in Arkansas. So we will see.