View Poll Results: What do you think you get closer to ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • To Cache's

2 33.33%
  • To Benchmark's

0 0%
  • Your Control Point

1 16.67%
  • What is a control point?

3 50.00%

Thread: WAAS

GEO Guest

WAAS

WHAT IS WAAS?
    http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Re-found this article from the F.A.A. ON GEOCACHING.
    ASD asked me as I had put it down as WASS in the benchmarking forum.
    I was trying to show that we have less than 3 feet accuracy,if done right you can get centimeter accuracies.
    It just takes time.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...AE83414B7F0000

GEO Guest
    Man did I mess things up,how do I delete what I have done?
    I only wanted 1 poll.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Geo, if you are not confused, I am. You said we have less than 3 feet accuracy. The Garmin Legend link says less than 3 meters accuracy. The Scientific American link says 9 feet accuracy, which is slightly less than 3 meters.

One question I have is, do the GPS units we have automatically pick up all satelites available, or do the satelites have to be included in the firmware of the GPS in which case a new satelite would require at least a firmware update.

I haven't paying particular attention but it seems to me the closest I have ever seen on my GPS was 9 feet.

Also, keep on putting up those links. I enjoy them and even see something I understand just a little bit every now and then.

Geezer

GEO Guest
    Disclaimers:
    Everbody knows about them.............
    No one is going to say you have X # of accuracy feet.
    It would cause too many Law suits.
    That is why they say that.
    I have 0' - 3' feet accuracies if you just let it sit a while,the longer the better.
    Frequency of the Transmitter/Reciver,This would be the main change the frequencies of the signals.M1/M2 ect.

Do your own tests.
    Start with 2 marks in your drive where you always pull in,do a daily average for 3-5 days of reading make sure your WAAS is on and you are recieving above the 24 and are getting the 3D.And always on the same spots.
    Like an airplane coming in for a landing,see how close it will navigate you back between those 2 marks............amazing for me I always hit right on the runway.(driveway)