Thread: Earth caches?

acrossvet Guest

Earth caches?

I am fairly new to geocaching, I am trying to log an earth cache that requires a picture to be posted to get credit for the cache. I have no idea how to do that. I do most of my logging on my iPad, which is also where most of my pictures( including the one I would use) are. Does anyone have directions on how to get that picture onto geocaching.com? I would greatly appreciate any help. Remember to dumb the directions down as much as possible! Thanks.

Plug your Ipad into your computer

Once you've done that, your Ipad should appear in your "My Computer" area as an additional hard drive. You can then upload photos to your log by visiting geocaching.com on your computer and hitting the "Upload Image" button on your log editing screen. At that point, just browse to your Ipad and select your image.

It's one of those things that you'll never have a problem with once you've done it one time.

From the Groundspeak guidelines for Earthcaches:

5.2. EarthCache Logging Requirements

An EarthCache must include logging tasks which relate to - and help teach - the Earth Science lesson. The logging tasks should be stringent enough that they can only be completed by cachers who have visited the EarthCache site. Requiring a photograph of the cacher as proof that they were at the EarthCache site is not permitted. However, photographic tasks will be considered if they relate specifically to the Earth Science lesson.

I don't know if photos were allowed in older earthcache listings, but they aren't allowed any more. Chuck Walla would be the one to know if older earthcaches were allowed to retain the photo requirement or if the listings had to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TnT View Post
    From the Groundspeak guidelines for Earthcaches:

5.2. EarthCache Logging Requirements

An EarthCache must include logging tasks which relate to - and help teach - the Earth Science lesson. The logging tasks should be stringent enough that they can only be completed by cachers who have visited the EarthCache site. Requiring a photograph of the cacher as proof that they were at the EarthCache site is not permitted. However, photographic tasks will be considered if they relate specifically to the Earth Science lesson.

I don't know if photos were allowed in older earthcache listings, but they aren't allowed any more. Chuck Walla would be the one to know if older earthcaches were allowed to retain the photo requirement or if the listings had to be changed.
    First off, I don't review EarthCaches. Those are a unique type of "cache" and are handled by an entirely different set of reviewers, separate from the "standard" geocache reviewers. Second, regarding the requirements for logging an EarthCache, it is best to look at the EarthCache.Org website and review the requirements listed there for submitting an EarthCache. Requirement 7 states,

7. Requests for photographs must be optional. Exceptions to this guideline will only be considered if the requested photograph is related to an Earth Science logging activity such as recording a phenomenon. This particular guidelines was updated on 1 January 2011. All EarthCaches must conform to this guideline as photo requests are considered "optional tasks" and follow the guidelines set forth by Geocaching.com.
    Existing EarthCaches that do not meet this guideline must be updated to comply.
    Cache owners may not delete the cacher's log based solely on optional tasks.
    Therefore, there was no grandfathering of older EarthCaches that required a photo to be posted in order to get credit for the find. When the requirements were changed, there was a review of existing EarthCaches to notify those who had such a requirement to make it optional or remove it. However, it is possible that some EarthCaches were missed or that the owner did not make the requested change and there was no followup by the reviewer. So, if posting of a photo is the ONLY requirement for this EarthCache, then you should probably comply and post your picture. After all, it sounds like you have taken it! But then send an email to the EarthCache reviewer who published the listing to let them know that about the situation so that they can get the owner to remove the requirement for a photo (or make it optional) and to update their listing with logging requirements that satisfy the educational intent of this type of cache.
    "Volunteering is for suckers. Did you know that volunteers don't even get paid for the stuff they do?" -- Homer Simpson

acrossvet Guest
    Ok I got that I'm not supposed to have to put up a picture, but I would actually like to. I do not see an upload image button on the log screen at all. Am I just missing it?

It is after you actually log the cache as found....look at your log entry and the cache page....just below your log entry there is a upload image line to click...that's how you add the image. Coon&Bud
    KoonandBud