Thread: June 2012 Geocacher Profile

June 2012 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Judy Vaughn aka MathSeeker should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    MathSeeker

How did you choose your handle?
    I tried several other names that were already taken and finally settled on MathSeeker. I am a Math Instructional Facilitator for PCSSD. That is where the Math part came from. The Seeker part comes from seeking caches and new knowledge.

How long have you been geocaching?
    I started geocaching in March 2008.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    I looked for what caches were around my location. GC17KCV (JAIL TIME)
    by The Price is Right was my first cache find.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    I use to cache by myself most of the time, but now I cache with my best friend, Woodwalker9.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    What do you mean give up? I may take a break from the puzzle but I will usually come back to work on a puzzle until I get it solved. I enjoy puzzle caches, even when I may never be able to go get the cache because of its location.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    I enjoy caching everywhere I go.

Do you do paperless caching?
    I finally went to paperless caching when I got my Garmin 62s.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    My GPSr is a Garmin 62s and a Nuvi to get me to the location. My caching mobile is a Ford Escape.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    It's a great activity the whole family can enjoy together. It gets you off the couch and outdoors.

Where are you originally from?
    I was born in East St. Louis, IL, but grew up in southeast Missouri and western Tennessee. The USAF originally brought me to Arkansas.

In what states have you geocached?
    Woodwalker and I have found caches in each of the states in the USA except Hawaii and Alaska.

What was your first event ever attended?
    GC19QBP WWFM III - Big Dam Bridge - Central Arkansas by ar_kayaker

How many caches have you found?
    I have 8582 logged at the moment.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
    I like finding any and all kinds of caches and containers.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
    GCGV0P Original Stash Tribute Plaque by Groundspeak
    GC30 Mingo by The Kansas Stasher (The oldest active geocache.)

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
    Most of the time I use rechargeable batteries, but occasionally I do use disposable batteries.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    I enjoy finding more.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    The goal for me is to give back to the game and to share a place with other cachers.

What is you favorite type of cache hide?
    I enjoy figuring out puzzle caches, but enjoy all types of caches especially creative hides.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    The ones placed in honor of friends are my favorites.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    There shouldn't be a set ratio in my opinion.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
    While visiting missionary friends in Ecuador, the husband told me about geocaching. Several months after I returned home, I looked up geocaching.com and the rest is history.

What's your favorite geocache?
    It is too hard to select one cache as my favorite. I like them all, but when Woodwalker and I go on a trip we like finding the older caches, earthcaches, virtuals, and webcams.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    I would like to go back to Ecuador to geocache since that is where I first heard of geocaching.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
    My favorite geocaching partner is my husband, Woodwalker. We usually cache together.

How many First to Finds do you have?
    I don't have a count. I use to enjoy giving the locals a run for their money when a new cache published. It is fun to run into other cachers when in search of a FTF.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    I have been known to take off when a cache would publish. My notification is set for 50 miles away.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    Geocaching is not a hobby! It is a way of life! I enjoy traveling and seeing new places.

Mathseeker and woodwalker are some of the greatest friends we have come to know since we started geocaching. Thanks for featuring this well deserved person as the Cacher of the month.
    Profile for thefab5willisclan

I have had the pleasure of meeting Mathseeker and enjoy seeing her at the events. The first time I met her , I went with her and Edieo to do some caching after an event didn't work out. Thanks Judy for all that you do for geocaching. It is a way of life I agree.

drmo913 Guest
    Thanks Mathseeker!