Thread: Site Layout Question

dlevans Guest

Site Layout Question

No issue, just a question: Was there any particular reason why the forum is full screen width as opposed to 960px wide? I've been teaching myself adobe illustrator and came up with the attached image that I think would do well as either a fixed background (doesn't scroll with content) or fades to either the top dark teal or bottom black. I don't think it would work with full width, though. Thoughts?

sunset_depth_of_field_vector.png

dlevans Guest
    here is an example as to what it may look like if enacted. Please excuse the scrunched content, I didn't feel like taking the time to mock all that up, so I just skewed it thinner.
    arkgeo_example.png

As a note, I have a 24" monitor, so the screen grab here is pretty wide. The 960px range (visualized here as the content area) is designed as such to fit much smaller screens, so there wouldn't be as much of the background image showing.
    Last edited by dlevans; 05-06-2012 at 01:07 PM.

dlevans Guest

No need to be . If I had ANY idea what the heck you are talking about I would have responded two days ago. Since I don't I'll just welcome you to the game and someone much smarter than me will get back with ya soon, I'm sure.

That's Kevin's baby. I'm like ArkFireMedic I don't know enough to comments

The site is full screen because that's just how I did it when I migrated us off of the old platform.

At this point, though, we can't go to a fixed width because I don't think our navigation tabs would fit in a confined space like that. Board members, election officials, etc... have more navigation tabs than regular voting members, so decreasing the width of the site would likely cause those users to see overlapping content.

Don't forget the old folks who need larger fonts! I like my forum as big as it can be on my little screen. I also use my phone a lot to check this forum, think it might get a little small for that us. Pretty picture though!

dlevans Guest
    gotcha, thanks.