The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Wayne Lunsford aka Gaddiel should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

Gaddiel

How did you choose your handle?
I wanted to have nickname that had some biblical significance, so I chose "Gaddiel", one of the scouts that first went in to the land God promised to Israel back in the book of Exodus. Gaddiel was an explorer-type of guy, so I thought it would be appropriate.

How long have you been geocaching?
We started geocaching in June of 2002, when we hid our first cache at Woolly Hollow State Park. However, our first find didn't come until several months later.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

On February 23, 2003, we went on our first hunt, OldFerry Cache, hidden by cachecrazies. Well, actually, there wasn't much of a "hunt" to it. It was a virtual cache and we already knew where it was! We didn't own a GPS at the time, of course, but I was able to borrow one from a co-worker.That day, in the cold and the rain, we discovered something that would give us years of enjoyment and cheap entertainment!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
My wife and daughter. We almost always cache together as a family.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
I guess I don't really know. We've never given up on one yet!

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
We have great memories of caching in the Clarksville area. The hides were so clever and inventive. A weekend in Clarksville was better than Disneyland!

Do you do paperless caching?
Absolutely. Although I do miss the old days sometimes. Back then, caches were so few and far between, each one was very special. We used to carry a 3-ring binder with all the printouts of the cache pages, maps, etc. We would even input the coordinates for each cache by hand. These days, I can do everything from my phone. It's amazing how things have changed....

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
I've just started using an Android smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. I'm trying out an application called c:geo. So far, I love the convenience and features.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

1) It's a great activity the whole family can enjoy together. 2) It can be done anywhere, anytime. 3) It gets you off the couch and into the great Arkansas outdoors.

Where are you originally from?
Born in California, but moved to Arkansas when I was 2. Never wanna leave!

In what states you have geocached?
Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, and Utah.

What was your first event ever attended?
First Ever Ark. River Valley Geo Meet and Greet
hosted by Nonnipoppy, Golfnutz, and others

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

My favorites are those that are creative, funny, or weird. (Wait... were we talking about cache containers or people?)

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

I'm proud that we were there for the very first Arkansas Geocachers Association annual event. Good times...

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Since our main geocaching device is the phone, I guess I'd say rechargeable.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

The mystery of finding a new cache or location is my favorite part. You just never know what you will discover...

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
Something about the hide should be different or unique (location, container, history, etc.)

What is you favorite type of cache hide?
I love creative, urban micros. Something silly or unexpected. My wife loves caches hidden on long hikes to remote locations. Our daughter loves huge containers, no matter the location. We all like to work on puzzle caches together... so... Hmmm.. I guess we love them ALL!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
We were proud to place the first cache in Conway. (Simon Sez)

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
Not sure there should be a number. Circumstances are different for different people. I would just say that if you enjoy geocaching, hide some of your own, so that others can enjoy them!

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

I believe I first heard about geocaching on Paperbackswap.com, another web site I use to trade paperback books.

What's your favorite geocache?
Our favorite find was "How Do You Measure Up As A Cacher?" Some caches are just plain fun! It's obvious that lots of planning went into this one. Ingenious design and flawless operation.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
My dreams are probably not as lofty as other people's. Probably some big city like New York.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
Not crazy about caching alone, but I love to go with the family! I've also enjoyed being in a group, especially when there are new cachers on the hunt. Seeing that sparkle of wonder in their eyes as they discover geocaching is a lot of fun.

How many First to Finds do you have?
We don't keep track of it, so I really don't know.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
Definitely not. We just look for caches that are close to where we happen to be at the time. I'm content to let others have that fun.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
Reading, golf, watching Netflix with the fam, and computer games.